1.0mm or 1.5mm lighting cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out of interest I was wondering whether someone could explain wehen you would use 1.5mm over 1.0mm cable for a lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
volt drop (if the circuit is long)
hefty derating factors involved (quite unlikely), big lighting circuit
fed from a bigger breaker than 6A (unlikely to be the case in a house)

Or a combination of a few of them

Thanks. Is normal practice to go with 1.0mm then unless it can be predicted that the above may apply?

The problem that I find with 1.0mm2 is that it breaks easily when connected and can cause problems in the future when trying to locate the broken wire. Otherwise I would agree with other reply

Sponsored Links
Conduit wiring is always stranded (these days). 1mm stranded would be too easily fractured IMO.

Conduit wiring is usually for more industrial and commercial applications, and as such, 1.5mm may be required.

If you are anything like me, you just buy a load of drums of 2.5 and use that for small socket circuits and lights as well!

The electrician that did my rewire (ex Manweb allegedly) used 1.0mm for the lights. They did a good job and did it very quickly and I have had no trouble with tripping etc (other than some debris in the CU) so just wondered why they used 1.0mm but another spark said he would have used 1.5mm. The only place there is any 1.5mm is the supply to my outside light from a JB at the sparks suggestion.

I read the post as if it was all conduit wired :rolleyes:

I see it wasn't!! 1mm is the norm, and usually more than acceptable in a domestic or even light commercial environment. 1.5mm is used more for larger, longer circuits, and more onnourouse loads (did I just invent a word?), such as flourescent and discharge lighting on higher rated breakers.

The coucil around here insist on 1.5 for lighting ccts in council houses, and yet are also happy with 1.5mm for 16amp storage rad ccts :!:

prepare your version of 'onerous' much better!! :)

I haven't used 1.0mm^2 cable for years, except as singles in control panel wiring. If I do any lights I always use 1.5mm^2 as the cost difference is negligable and the discount due to volume temds to make it cheaper.

Wiring with 1.0mm^2 T&E would be like wiring with bootlaces!! :LOL:

FWL_Engineer said:
Wiring with 1.0mm^2 T&E would be like wiring with bootlaces!! :LOL:
Do you prefer a single or double bow when making connections? :)

Cheers,

Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back