1/4 turn taps pain the backside

My 3/4" bath tap delivers ~ 16LPM so a 40kw combi would only heat the water to ~ 43C just now (mains at 7C) at that flowrate and it would have to be reduced to 10.8LPM to heat it to 60C. or 13.3LPM if 50C is acceptable.

Sponsored Links
what an utter nightmare, had this boiler checked over under boiler cover agreement.
engineer no1 diagnoses the heat exchanger plate is gummed up so orders a new one, made no difference heating and hot water still not great,
engineer no 2 diagnoses new pump needed, brings new pump which he fitted then says it`s dead leaves me without nothing for 3 days i complain to manufacturer they send over their own engineer to fix it, new pump fitted however i have noticed they fitted a 15-60 pump when the original one was a 15-70 i have not told them yet as they are replacing the main heating exchanger at the moment.
i am surprised they are replacing so many parts will i end up with a nearly new boiler LOL.

do i need to point out the pump is weaker 6m head instead of the original 7m head ?

The pump should really be a 7M but a 6M may not make much/any difference on DHW.

I would now look your problem from a different angle, you basically want to know if the boiler is giving its full rated output and this is the easiest way to do it IMO. If it is, then you can look at flowrates/temperatures later.

I would, first test, turn the DHW temperature control to Max then switch to Eco mode, this will have no tank heating and the boiler will act in normal combi mode, then open every hot tap fully, then take a snapshot of your gas meter and exactly 3 minutes later take another and post back your readings.

Your boiler is 29kw (maybe 30kw) so at full ouput I would expect to see a 3 minute gas consumption of 0.155M3.

The pump should really be a 7M but a 6M may not make much/any difference on DHW.

I would now look your problem from a different angle, you basically want to know if the boiler is giving its full rated output and this is the easiest way to do it IMO. If it is, then you can look at flowrates/temperatures later.

I would, first test, turn the DHW temperature control to Max then switch to Eco mode, this will have no tank heating and the boiler will act in normal combi mode, then open every hot tap fully, then take a snapshot of your gas meter and exactly 3 minutes later take another and post back your readings.

Your boiler is 29kw (maybe 30kw) so at full ouput I would expect to see a 3 minute gas consumption of 0.155M3.
i would love to check however after they fitted a brand new heat exchanger they have now advised the fan no longer works and can`t get a new one till friday morning now.

They said the boiler was only providing half the heat it should do hence the new exchanger. after it is fixed i will query the pump fitted but the part number does seem to correspond with the model of boiler 87172044430

utterly sick of this now, a week without nothing due to incompetence.

Sponsored Links
seems the 6m head pump is what they fit now i have no idea why it has changed from the previous 7m.
seems replacing most of the boiler was the fix, in other words it was worn out, lucky i had boiler insurance cover.

new main HE
new secondary HE
new pump
new electrodes
new flu fan
and possibly a new diverter also.

i would like to fit a magnetic filter to the boiler and wondering which one is best i have been looking at various fernox ones and the sentinel 300

i have just upgraded 6 radiators from type11 to type22 i am sure the original plumber undersized the rads to save money when the system was installed back 14 years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back