1.5 or 2.5 for water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently doing some work on our holiday chalet near Minehead and noticed that the Triton water heater is connected using 1.5mm T&E cable. It's a 3Kw unit which, if my maths is correct (assuming 230v) will draw 13A. I've checked the Triton web site and they say a minimum of 1.5. The cable runs in the wall (wood outer, Celotex insulation, MDF). Isn't that running very close to the max for 1.5mm? What would you lot use? My thoughts would be to rewire with 2.5mm.

Sponsored Links
I'm currently doing some work on our holiday chalet near Minehead and noticed that the Triton water heater is connected using 1.5mm T&E cable. It's a 3Kw unit which, if my maths is correct (assuming 230v) will draw 13A. I've checked the Triton web site and they say a minimum of 1.5. The cable runs in the wall (wood outer, Celotex insulation, MDF). Isn't that running very close to the max for 1.5mm? What would you lot use? My thoughts would be to rewire with 2.5mm.
If the cable is totally surrounded by thermal insulation and does not touch the inner surface of the wall, then you are right, since the current-carrying-capacity of 1.5mm² cable would then only be 10A, hence inadequate. However, in all other situations it would be OK for at least 13A. What size MCB/fuse is protecting this cable?

Kind Regards, John

What size MCB/fuse is protecting this cable?
Not sure. I'm at home at the moment. I'm hoping (work permitting) to get back down next week to finish off some other jobs. I'll check the MCB then.
Fair enough. It's not the most crucial question, anyway. The most crucial question is whether the cable is in contact with the inner face of the wall, or whether it is totally surrounded by thermal insulation. It's probably a 16A MCB.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's not surrounded with insulation but is against the inner face of the wall.

It's not surrounded with insulation but is against the inner face of the wall.
In that case, it counts as Installation Method 102, with which 1.5mm² cable has a CCC of 16A - hence fine for your 13A water heater, provided it is protected by a 16A MCB.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back