1.5mm² lighting cables - 3 lights- do they have to be in-line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any lights yet, so the in-line option with only 2 wires per terminal removes one possible problem later on.

The room incorporates a previous car port with an existing light fitting. The existing fitting has a 1.5mm² supply cable, I'm just moving the existing light fitting slightly, extending on, adding two more lights.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Unlike the many and various ceiling rose diagrams out there I only have one cable coming in, there is currently no arrangement for other lights.

If I just continue the various colours onwards, replicating the 1st rose scheme so that there's live going along one side of the in line lights, and neutral on the other, then if one bulb fails all 3 lights won't go out?

Unlike the many and various ceiling rose diagrams out there I only have one cable coming in, there is currently no arrangement for other lights. ... If I just continue the various colours onwards, replicating the 1st rose scheme so that there's live going along one side of the in line lights, and neutral on the other, then if one bulb fails all 3 lights won't go out?
That's correct (they would not all go out). However, with what you describe, all 3 lights would be controlled by one switch (the one you currently have). Is that what you want? As you will see above, that's what I had assumed, but then others questioned whether it was necessarily what you wanted.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This is now the 1st in the line (of 3). Possibly the neutral from the 1st light flex should, strictly speaking, go to the connector block on the left marked 'flex' with maybe a short neutral jumping from the 'neutral' block to the left side flex block?
P_20190702_110653.jpg

This rose will be replaced but this is this the wiring arrangement that I was intending to take forward.

This is now the 1st in the line (of 3). Possibly the neutral from the 1st light flex should, strictly speaking, go to the connector block on the left marked 'flex' with maybe a short neutral jumping from the 'neutral' block to the left side flex block?
What you have is fine.

It would be 'nice' (although obviously not an electrical issue) if that neutral flex were blue or black (rather than brown!) - or, at least, had a bit of blue or black sleeving over it - but I suppose that's a bit pedantic!

Kind Regards, John

What you have is fine.

It would be 'nice' (although obviously not an electrical issue) if that neutral flex were blue or black (rather than brown!) - or, at least, had a bit of blue or black sleeving over it - but I suppose that's a bit pedantic!

Kind Regards, John

ah yes, missed that.

extending a lighting circuit....rcd protection required....also a minor works cert

extending a lighting circuit....rcd protection required....also a minor works cert

I recently had the olde worlde fuse box removed from the bathroom and replaced by a new rcd unit fitted in a kitchen cupboard, so this light is already on the new rcd.

Edit - The spark signed off the rcd, the rest of the house also passed muster and was signed off on the same cert.

Last edited:
I recently had the olde worlde fuse box removed from the bathroom and replaced by a new rcd unit fitted in a kitchen cupboard, so this light is already on the new rcd.
what about the testing....zs...continuity....rcd trip time

what about the testing....zs...continuity....rcd trip time
If you are implying (undoubtedly correctly) that the great majority of DIYers would not have the ability/equipment to undertaken such 'required' testing, is it your view that no DIY electrical work should be done?

Let's face it, adding a couple of lights to an existing circuit, without even any new switching, is about as basic as electrical DIY work can become - so if it is felt that that should not be done by a DIYer (because of inability to properly test), then it's hard to see what DIY electrical work would be considered acceptable.

Kind Regards, John

If you are implying (undoubtedly correctly) that the great majority of DIYers would not have the ability/equipment to undertaken such 'required' testing, is it your view that no DIY electrical work should be done?

Let's face it, adding a couple of lights to an existing circuit, without even any new switching, is about as basic as electrical DIY work can become - so if it is felt that that should not be done by a DIYer (because of inability to properly test), then it's hard to see what DIY electrical work would be considered acceptable.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks for your kind regards....but......the new downlights will come with instructions stating they should be fitted by a competent electrician....also they will prob come with push fit connectors...so if the op doesnt get a good connection with the cpc which can easily happen with push fit and the earth sleeving,then the end of line may not be protected.....so no rcd protection.....so testing required......and lastly.....REGS END OF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back