1.5mm² lighting cables - 3 lights- do they have to be in-line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your kind regards....but......the new downlights will come with instructions stating they should be fitted by a competent electrician....also they will prob come with push fit connectors...so if the op doesnt get a good connection with the cpc which can easily happen with push fit and the earth sleeving,then the end of line may not be protected.....so no rcd protection.....so testing required......and lastly.....REGS END OF
So, to repeat my question, is it your view that (for reasons such as you mention) no DIY electrical work should ever be done (or 'allowed')?

... and, as a matter of curiosity, if that IS your view (which would be fair enough), why are you participating in a 'DIY Electrics' forum?

Kind Regards, John

So, to repeat my question, is it your view that (for reasons such as you mention) no DIY electrical work should ever be done (or 'allowed')?

... and, as a matter of curiosity, if that IS your view (which would be fair enough), why are you participating in a 'DIY Electrics' forum?

Kind Regards, John
Do the work...but make sure its safe........if a diy,er can do that then not a problem.......if something goes wrong because he has done the work unsafely and someone gets hurt are you as the person who advised him going to stand up in court and say it was me who told him how to do it........the advice given here was all good...but not a mention of testing to make sure its safe

Sponsored Links
Do the work...but make sure its safe........if a diy,er can do that then not a problem.......if something goes wrong because he has done the work unsafely and someone gets hurt are you as the person who advised him going to stand up in court and say it was me who told him how to do it........the advice given here was all good...but not a mention of testing to make sure its safe
Although I understand all your arguments, you seem to be evading my question - so I'll have one more try ....

.... given your views, and given the fact that very very few DIYers will have the means and/or ability to undertake all of the sort of testing that has been mentioned, do you feel that the only advice that can 'safely' be given to such a person is not to attempt any electrical DIY work? If such is your view, I would have no problem with that, but you seem very reluctant to confirm that such is what you feel and believe.

Kind Regards, John

Although I understand all your arguments, you seem to be evading my question - so I'll have one more try ....

.... given your views, and given the fact that very very few DIYers will have the means and/or ability to undertake all of the sort of testing that has been mentioned, do you feel that the only advice that can 'safely' be given to such a person is not to attempt any electrical DIY work? If such is your view, I would have no problem with that, but you seem very reluctant to confirm that such is what you feel and believe.

Kind Regards, John
If they cant do the testing to make sure its safe...then don t touch it.......if you bought a gas oven and the in structions stated that a gas safe engineer must fit it...would you fit it because some bloke said connect the pipe and do the nut up tight......i hope not........if people want to change like for like then no problem........additions or new circuits come under regs.....no more argument..........have enjoyed this chat

A few points come to mind:
a) It's quite a stretch from, even if something went wrong, to even suggest that John might be responsible. The one certainly does not confirm the other, even slightly. To imply such, especially using the wording that you have is extremely offensive.
b) I wasn't asking about the regs, was I?

If they cant do the testing to make sure its safe...then don t touch it.......if you bought a gas oven and the in structions stated that a gas safe engineer must fit it...would you fit it because some bloke said connect the pipe and do the nut up tight......i hope not........if people want to change like for like then no problem........additions or new circuits come under regs.....no more argument..........have enjoyed this chat

Just another forum newbie with that old clunker 'the Part P in it's 'Sword of Damoclese' severest interpretation', the homeowner will not even run new cables in, fix new cable clips etc

Nothing new to see here folks..

Last edited:
A few points come to mind:
a) It's quite a stretch from, even if something went wrong, to even suggest that John might be responsible. The one certainly does not confirm the other, even slightly. To imply such, especially using the wording that you have is extremely offensive.
b) I wasn't asking about the regs, was I?
No you didnt ask about the Regs...because you dont want to know....you just want to do a job that could be left in an unsafe condition....so carry on............'Offensive'...........mind you dont melt

........if people want to change like for like then no problem........
Why not (from your viewpoint)? - any electrical work should be followed by appropriate testing - so would you not be concerned about your court appearance if you advised a DIYer (who didn't have the means/ability to undertake testing) to go ahead and effect 'like for like changes'?

Kind Regards, John

Why not (from your viewpoint)? - any electrical work should be followed by appropriate testing - so would you not be concerned about your court appearance if you advised a DIYer (who didn't have the means/ability to undertake testing) to go ahead and effect 'like for like changes'?

Kind Regards, John
Doesnt come under regs.......and i wouldnt advise them to start with.......

This thread is about an addition to a circuit......REGS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back