Why 1.5mm cable for lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be rewiring my house and am considering using 1mm cable for the lighting circuits. Is there any particular reason why 1.5mm is used so commonly? It'll be on 6A MCBs and star-wired. I've heard that 1.5mm can be easier to work with, but I'd have thought the reverse would be true.

Sponsored Links
H'm lets see - 6amp lighting circuit no insulation issues -

Todays screwedfix prices:
100m of 1mm T&E = £33.00
100m of 1.5mm T&E = £41.69

What do you think ;)

Sponsored Links
1mm T&E will happily carry 8A in the worst case scenario (ref method 103), and 16A at best (Ref Method C) so is more than adequate for a 6A lighting circuit

I far prefer 1.0mmsq, although previous discussions in a similar vein suggest that a lot of other DIYnot'ers prefer 1.5mm. My dislike of the larger conductor size is that many modern fittings provide very little space for cable termination, making the smaller conductors much easier to form and work with.

If you are using 6A CPD then 1mm² is fine for a lighting circuit
providing that - when you do the cable calculations (you will be doing cable calculations??):

the vd is within limits
the EFLI is OK
and (of course)
that the load is not more than 6amps!

[/u]

In the main we are lazy. 44 mV/A/m to 29 mV/A/m means the amount of 1mm which we can use and stay within the 3% volt drop is a lot less than with 1.5mm. OK at around 40 meters it will take a lot of cable before we run into a problem but to without calculating use 1 mm means at end of day it may fail but with 60 meters allowed with 1.5mm one is very unlikely to have a problem.

I don't anticipate volt drop being an issue as it will be star wired, so won't be taking a meandering route round the building, and in normal operation the current in each leg will be a small fraction of 6A. There will of course be a run of cable from the MCB to where the circuit branches off to the individual lighting points, which will have the full current.

Likewise, Zs shouldn't be too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back