Mixed 1.5mm and 1mm cable with good intention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My lighting circuit is wired in 1mm. The live cable come in and out of the switch box, and a single switched wire goes to the bulb.

I have now added from that switch box 2 more switches going to 9 downlighters, and with good intention, I did it in 1.5mm (thinking that it would be better).

I have now read on another topic that it is bad practice to mix wire size.
Does this mean that I need to replace all my wires to 1mm? This would be possible but obviously not look forward to.

Just to be clear, the lighting 'ring' is in 1mm and untouched. It si just the switched cables going to the downlighters that are in 1.5mm.

Thank you very much for your advice

Sponsored Links
not a problem as long as the protective device for the circuit protects the lower rated cable (1mm, which it should if the circuit was complient to start with. i would place a label/circuit chart at the CU with this information written on it though so as anyone working on the circuit is aware of the fact. better to go up a cable size rather than down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back