"Stepping up" 1mm t&e to 1.5mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

First post here, so please be gentle... :)

I'm in the middle of adding an additional three 70w fluorescent strip lights to an existing 70w strip light in my garage (all run from a single switch).

Having made a similar addition in my last property (which is was a more recent build) I have wired the additional lights together in the same way using 1.5mm t&e.

However, having come to make the final connection to the existing light circuit I have discovered that the current wiring is 1mm t&e. Checking back I have discovered that this is the case through out the lighting circuit, all the way back to the MCB (B6).

Now, I know what I should probably do (i.e. strip out what I have done and start again with 1mm...), but would it be possible to step up the existing 1mm to 1.5mm, just for the additional three lights? Would it be unacceptable on the basis that anyone subsequently adding to the circuit would assume it was 1.5mm throughout, or is there a loading issue?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Just leave it - 1mm² is fine - absolute worst case current carrying capacity is 8A.

Sorry, I don't think I phrased that particularly clearly. I was planning on leaving the existing 1mm part of the circuit, it was just whether I could make my addition with 1.5mm?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Who started this fashion for 1.5mm²?

I can remember a long time back before all this regulation when I was engaged to wire a new portacabin type playgroup building (so I was one of a team of volunteers). My experience was wiring at home and talking to retired electricians. Obviously nowhere near sufficient in today's terms.

Anyway the father of a then colleague was once an electrician, so I was given 'tips' by him. One tip was 'you can always spur off a socket' which means that a spur can spur off a socket which is already a spur, and so on - daft really'. I have no idea if the regulations were really worded like that back then. No-one could afford the regulations so who knows?

Anyway, the other thing he said was 'no need to buy 2.5, 1.5 and 1mm, because you can use the 1.5 for lighting and save buying a reel of 1mm'.

I did this during the playgroup wiring, (and really struggled to get the 2x1.5mm into the places needing this).

I believe that this was common 'knowledge' back then. Just a way to save money on a job.

Only saying this because the question keeps coming up here.

Don't get me started on the procedure for getting the job signed off by the Electricity Board...

Anyway, the other thing he said was 'no need to buy 2.5, 1.5 and 1mm, because you can use the 1.5 for lighting and save buying a reel of 1mm'.
I wonder why he didn't say "...because you can use the 1mm² for lighting and save buying a reel of 1.5mm²"? What was his plan for using 1.5mm² on circuits other than lighting ones?

You could use 1.5mm on 15a or 13a Radials into the 80's.

DS

I wonder why he didn't say "...because you can use the 1mm² for lighting and save buying a reel of 1.5mm²"? What was his plan for using 1.5mm² on circuits other than lighting ones?

I think (long time ago) it was for immersions. In the playgroup case, it was probably the handdryer circuit.

the other thing he said was 'no need to buy 2.5, 1.5 and 1mm, because you can use the 1.5 for lighting and save buying a reel of 1mm'.
As said, surely there must be more cases of 1.5 being wasted on lighting circuits than using 2.5 when 1.5 was actually needed.

I do recall that local authorites specified 1.5mm for lighting but this was for physical reasons as the 1mm was a bit to flimsy for the house bashers to 'draw in' without damage.

That's my story, but at the time, cable was cheap ! 1977

DS

Certainly when I was training back in the '70s we were always advised to use 1.5 as it was physically stronger and less likely to being damaged on installation that 1.0

At that time the company probably employed 4 to 5 hundred electricians, so I think it had some experience in these matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back