"Stepping up" 1mm t&e to 1.5mm

Any council work we done was minimum 1.5.
1mm used to snap at terminals easier than 1.5mm, though this forum dismissed this as rubbish

Sponsored Links
Well……. the guy that advised me of the policy was in fact a senior electricity board inspector based in Edinburgh at that time.

Regards,

DS

Any council work we done was minimum 1.5. ... 1mm used to snap at terminals easier than 1.5mm, though this forum dismissed this as rubbish
Well, it's inevitable that 1.0mm² is more likely to 'snap at terminals' than 1.5mm² - the question is, I suppose, how often that actually happens.

However, if they really were concerned about "snapping 1.0mm² conductors", they didn't really ought to have allowed 1.5mm² T&E, either - that has a 1.0mm² CPC, and a snapped CPC is probably a more serious/dangerous problem/risk than a snapped L or N - not the least because it is quite likely to go unnoticed!

Kind Regards, John

Any council work we done was minimum 1.5.
1mm used to snap at terminals easier than 1.5mm, though this forum dismissed this as rubbish

With respect, this is often because people don't double the ends over, particularly at ceiling roses where so many people think it's not necessary.

Sponsored Links
That's why i perform a 1mm fold over, not my hair my cable :LOL:

DS

The earth is usually static in the back box, whereas the switches were often on and off for decoraters, either residents or contracters, so maybe they encountered problems.

I myself in my career have encountered switches snapped off twice , both times 1mm, one a day after I actually fitted it, never used it since :oops:

1mm is ideal for induction loops and 70v line speaker systems.

DS

DS

Not sure it makes no difference, the snaps invariably where the insulations stripped and the cores scored, doubling over would possibly agrivate the score more.
Bit like a pyro ringing tool or a pipe cutter.

Just overlap the fold onto the insulation and take the strain of the score?

DS

DS

Not sure it makes no difference, the snaps invariably where the insulations stripped and the cores scored, doubling over would possibly agrivate the score more.
Bit like a pyro ringing tool or a pipe cutter.

May have misunderstood.

Never experienced wire 'snapping' not caused by the screw terminal.

Not that I remember anyway.

Ye, a nice bottle of white, it's sitting perched on the top of a 3phase DB I'm wiring as we speak…….

:eek:

Cheers !

May have misunderstood.

Never experienced wire 'snapping' not caused by the screw terminal.

Not that I remember anyway.

You aint lived :)
I know what you mean though, ovezealous tightening flattening it like a cobra snake head.
the snapping ive encountered is more found when prestripped ends have been reterminated after faultfinding etc
not just 1mm though, even 2.5mm
Even once found a pyro snapped at the gland,caused where the pvc sheath was took off by a stanley knife scoring the copper so deep.
Of course ideally any cable should be dressed so theres NO stress to cause snapping anway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back