1.5mm2 cable for single socket?

That, in itself, is irrelevant - (the common situation of) half a dozen (or more) double sockets on a circuit wired with 2.5mm² cable would dramatically 'exceed the current rating of the cable' if all the sockets were fully loaded.

Kind Regards, John

What is the relevant answer John?

Sponsored Links
What is the relevant answer John?
What is relevant/important is that the device (fuse or breaker) should have an adequately low rating to protect the cable from excessive currents. Hence, if the cable has, say, a maximum current-carrying capacity of 20A, then the fuse or breaker must be rated at no more than 20A.

As I said, with sockets circuits (which invariably have several sockets), the load which could theoretically be 'plugged in' is invariably very much higher than the maximum current-carrying capacity of the cable - but the fuse/breaker will, as above, prevent the current ever becoming too high to damage the cable, no matter how much load is 'plugged in'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No. I’ve seen too many badly thought out statements for that.
And we've seen loads of Winstons badly thought out statements.

EDIT: I assume the totally incorrect crap Winston spouts on so many ocassions are not thought about at all.

So 1.5mm2 is ok?
I ask for future reference
If, as per the original question. it's supplying just one single socket (into which will be plugged a plug with, at most, a 13A fuse),then yes.

Kind Regards, John
As John says a single socket on a 1.5mm² T&E on a 20A circuit is fine as we are permitted to use downstream overload protection, ie the single 13A fuse in the single 13A socket will limit the current to the level that a following 1.25mm² flex is correctly protected.

I'd be hesitant to support the use of 1.5mm² on a 32A breaker/fuse. Only because it doesn't feel right to me, not because there is anything contrary to regs.

Really?
So why do they wire all sockets with 2.5mm?
Genuine question, i don't know.
Circuit design caters for loads of parameters including, but not limited to, Volt drop, installation method, temperature, thermal insulation, to name just a few.

A short run of 6 inches in a plasterboard wall is unlikely to encounter very many of those considerations.
If the question was only - Can I use 1.5mm² T&E for a new socket? - without all of the original detail as supplied in OP, we would have given very different answers.

I'd be hesitant to support the use of 1.5mm² on a 32A breaker/fuse. Only because it doesn't feel right to me, not because there is anything contrary to regs.
Many of our guts probably feeling the same - but that merely illustrates how our gut-feelings can be irrational.

1.5mm² cable with downstream 13A protection is, rationally/electrically (and per regs) OK no matter how high the rating of any upstream OPD (and, indeed, even if there is no upstream OPD at all!).

Kind Regards, John

As John says a single socket on a 1.5mm² T&E on a 20A circuit is fine as we are permitted to use downstream overload protection,
That downstream overload protection is not needed on a 20A circuit for the 1.5mm².

ie the single 13A fuse in the single 13A socket will limit the current to the level that a following 1.25mm² flex is correctly protected.
That's not an "i.e." nor downstream protection, it applies to (just about) everything with a UK plug.

Mmmm. I think I can see why. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back