1.5mm2 cable for single socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use 1.5mm cable to supply a single socket. Cable will run behind a plasterboard wall. Cable run will be about fifteen centimetres. Breaker is 20amp for the circuit. The intention is only to use to supply a low current device (home automation microprocessors).

Sponsored Links
Wait for it......"But what if someone plugs a 3Kw heater into it".....

I'm no electrician but why not run two 1.5mm cables if that’s all you have?

Sponsored Links
Using 2x 1.5mm2 in parallel is discouraged I think. Due to the location in a boiler cupboard is unlikely that someone will try to run a heater. They'd have to walk past several more convenient sockets to access it.

Really?
So why do they wire all sockets with 2.5mm?
Genuine question, i don't know.
I think it's because a double socket would exceed the current rating. Rating is also less than 20a when concealed iirc.

I think it's because a double socket would exceed the current rating.
That, in itself, is irrelevant - (the common situation of) half a dozen (or more) double sockets on a circuit wired with 2.5mm² cable would dramatically 'exceed the current rating of the cable' if all the sockets were fully loaded.

Kind Regards, John

DBB5C01A-5528-49AE-AC94-9285E87E75C8.png

I have googled 4 way splitter as requested. How should I connect 3 heaters to any of these?

Extension lead maybe?
Just a wild guess, or maybe it's a technical electric device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back