1.6 Honda Civic 2004 headlight adjustment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just changed the dipped bulbs on my 2004 Honda Civic with ease and now considered checking the beam alignment with a view to adjustment.
On initial examination I could not find any form of mechanism for adjustment.
On close examination I found the U shaped arrows marked R - L on the plastic rim running along the top of the headlamp. This was in front of a hole which guides a screwdriver (at 45 degrees) to the white toothed gear.
So far so good!but I'm more interested in the vertical adjustment
I then found another U shaped mark with arrows U - D more in the centre position, but no hole and nothing in the form of adjustment below/behind.
This mark was directly in front of the screw securing the light strap to the bodywork. I also noticed the plastic strap had a pointer moulded on one side and the bodywork had 5 serations.
With the screw removed the lamp was still firm, but I noticed another plastic strap running up the drain channel on the wing.
This was partially hidden but revealed another securing screw.
Again with this screw removed the lamp was still firm.
I'm now thinking! The markings cater for adjustment so perhaps the mechanism is at the base of the headlight but I can't see anything.
Does anyone know if there is a mechanism and how to access it?[/b]

Sponsored Links
No, step away from the car ...............

Instant failure on your next test (well over here it is), if out of tolerance and believe me the tolerance window is tight. So if you are not happy with the alignment get it done on the machine, or upgrade the bulbs/lights.

Sorry for the confusion

Yes, as with all cars there is a mechanism to focus the lights, but you are not going to focus them correctly without the correct alignment machine. That's why the garages use them

Sponsored Links
Seriously - don't these have electrical adjustment, courtesy of a motor, for adjustment up and down?
John :)

Hi John! Yes they do have some adjustment by the way of a motor as you say which is controlled from a rotary wheel on the dash board.
As far as I'm aware the amount of this adjustment is just to compensate for the variation in load and not the initial setting.
I did however note the pointer on the strap and serrations on body together with the 'arrowed U sign' are directly in line with the built in motor, so it might be related to the setting up, but I was expecting to find some form of adjusting screw.
No doubt a workshop manual will reveal all!

Yes, you are correct the electric motors only compensate for weight in the car, and the dial should be at zero before adjustment commences.
I can't comment for Honda but other types have had adjustment at the motor itself.
My MOT centre actually adjusts the lamps for free.
John :)

Just to explain the 'UP' and 'Down' manual adjustment is by means of moving the push/pull rod within the motor. On the rear end of each motor housing is a small vertical tube to accommadate the screwdriver and a gear tooth (or two) can be seen at the bottom. This does not affect the movement/setting by the dashboard control

Sponsored Links
Back