valve pump problem - please help - very cold last night!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My story continued.

Initial fault
hot water working fine was
turned on central heating switch and turn up roon stat and nothing happened

looked at the honeywell motorised valve. It is T shaped. marked b, a and the one going down AB

If I move the lever manually to its futhest extent, then the heating and pump kick in. If I hook it on its latch, if just fails to kick in as if its coming back 2mm too much.
noticed 1 of the motor securing screws missing - might make a difference?

Have popped this head off to have a look at it.

looked under the head and the gear doesnt look like it engages very well with the actuator part that turns. I messed about with this a few years ago if i remember. also the double micro switch doesnt look the best and after messing about with it the blooming micro switch fell apart!!!

So

Bought a b and q jobby
wired it up as the original, only difference is that there wasnt an earth wire (plastic lid)
Isolated left, right and above andbelow the pump, that is a foot below the valve.
When removing the valve, water splashed over the terminal block containing lots of wires associated with this and dripped onto the pump case.

Have tried to dry these out with a hairdryer.

When I turn on hot water or hw and ch the boiler powers up for 1 or 2 seconds and then the mcb trips supplying this. Any ideas ? could it be the water splashing over it?

Noticed on the valve it wasnt a spring return, motor on and off.

Called in at local screwfix and picked up another, spring actuated.

fitted and just the same.

removed all the wiring to the valve and this still happens, so

Q1 - could the water dripping on the pump cause a short ?
q2 - is a motorised on off just the same as the spring type?
q3 - pump smelling a bit - will disconnect and turn on the supply to see if it trips. if not will reconnect the valve and turn on - thus this will prove its the pump?
Q4 how many ohms should the pump read?

thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back