honda civic 2004 bulb replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - got a honda civic 2004 plate...drivers side headlight has gone off....my question is how the hell do you change the bulb ?...i cannot even get my hand in there to pull off the connector to the bulb...the water reservoir is in the way, cant see it comming off as its is one piece..the plastic tab needs to be pressed in at the same time as pulling on the connector..cant do it due to no space to get your hands in...any ideas ?..ta

Sponsored Links
Halfors will indeed fit some bulbs - but just the easy ones!!
Some cars (Renault Modus, Megane) need to have the entire front bumper and grille removed to access the headlight bulbs, (2 hour job :eek: ) and there's a chance your car is the same - I really don't know.
Why not give the service manager a call at your local dealer? If its a big job, he'll quote a menu price - if it can be done simply, he'll also let you know.
John :)

go in from the wheel arch much more room, pull a couple clips off the liner done in a couple mins.

Sponsored Links
go in from the wheel arch much more room, pull a couple clips off the liner done in a couple mins.
not with a honda civic...you cant.....why the **** do they do these to cars ?....you know you goning to replace a bulb sooner or later on a car and they make it almosat impossible to get to without removing all the front of the car..!!!!!!!!really ****es me off when they try and rip you off...i suppose they want you to take it to the dealers so they can fookin shaft you up the arse..really makes my blood boil when such a simple thing is made complicated...fookin rant over...£4 bulb costs aprox £50 plus to get changed..what a rip off...

Renault, in their infinite wisdom, recommend that all of the head / side bulbs are replaced at the same time - using 'quality' products.
The last time I had to do one of these, there was such a huge pile of removed plastic bits the make of the car was unrecognisable :eek:

This is something that really needs legislation instead of picking on bikers like the French do. What if your bulb blows when you're on a journey? As far as I'm aware you have to carry spare bulbs but if you can't change the bloody things they're useless.

This is something that really needs legislation instead of picking on bikers like the French do. What if your bulb blows when you're on a journey? As far as I'm aware you have to carry spare bulbs but if you can't change the bloody things they're useless.

Bloomin' good point, that :p

yes..great point...i was thinking of getting one of those bulb kits, just in case the bulb blows...but your right, if you cant replace the bulb on the roadside..whats the point..by the way i went to halfords...i said i needed a bulb for my honda civic....gave me the bulb and said if they could put it in for..pretended i didnt know anything about cars...bloke had a look, tried to get his hand in there, which i knew he wasnt gonna get to it...said he couldnt do it...still driving around without a headlight...might try a local mechanic...

I got a civic type R and changed the sidelight bulbs from the arch, very easy but the dipped bulb may be slightly harder to reach I did change from the top and is fiddly but I have small hands though ;)

Have you checked in your manual.

It can be a pain, but you should be able to get to it though room is tight. You remove the connector to the bulb, then remove a rubber boot around the bulb which can be very tight if not removed for a while. then you have the normal spring type clip that holds the bulb in place. you push it in and swing it out the way, remove bulb and fitting is reverse being mindfull the bulb is seated correctly and the spring clip goes back in the notch fully.

Good Luck

ps. heres a write up with pics I found for you, its for a Acura rsx but same thing in america.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=028f31513ee2e539e74a52cd57de99b1&t=303640

It can be a pain, but you should be able to get to it though room is tight. You remove the connector to the bulb, then remove a rubber boot around the bulb which can be very tight if not removed for a while. then you have the normal spring type clip that holds the bulb in place. you push it in and swing it out the way, remove bulb and fitting is reverse being mindfull the bulb is seated correctly and the spring clip goes back in the notch fully.

Good Luck

ps. heres a write up with pics I found for you, its for a Acura rsx but same thing in america.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=028f31513ee2e539e74a52cd57de99b1&t=303640[/QUOTE]thanks mate, but i done it with a couple of flat screwdrivers..one to keep the plastic tab on the clip open..and the other i pushed it through a hole in the panel which allowed me to force the clip off...anyway it isnt like the bulb you describe...its a complete unit that i had to buy as the bulb was part of the plastic moulding...cost £4 from a local motor spares shop...

Sounds like an advert for bloomin' Elastoplast, this one.....
Anyway, good on yer! :cool: Nice car, anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back