1.7D Corsa van Starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem starting my van a few weeks ago. After asking on this forum I finally sorted it by changing the starter motor.

Unfortunately the problem has come back.

I changed the oil, I changed the starter motor for a second hand one, I fitted a new battery but I have just tried to start it and it sounds exactly as it did before (not enough power to turn the engine over) but this time the alarm goes off indicating not enough power is getting to the battery.
All the lights can go on, the radio still works so I don't think that is the problem.

Any ideas?????

Sponsored Links
Is it a brand new battery and if it is, is the charging system working properly?

Yes it is a brand new battery.
It started first time all the time after I got the starter motor, but now, I have just tried to start it again and it is if the battery has drained, I tried to start it and the alarm came on again. I travel about 60 miles a day to and from work and it has been ok, if the alternator was faulty wouldn't it show on the dash and also the battery would drain whilst I was driving that distance, wouldn't it??????

I have just removed the battery and although I only bought it on Tuesday When I connected it up to the charger it was absolutely dead.

It started first time every time I started it from Tuesday, yesterday I started it, again no problem, drove 30 miles, then after it had been stopped for approx 1.5 hours it was dead, just like the last battery.

Any ideas please!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
once you've charged the battery mate, slap it back in and start her up, then check the volts across the battery points with a multimeter. they should go up from the 12vish normal battery to 14vish. if not the alternator is not charging it (which is what it sounds like)
I had exactly the same on a diesel pug and it confused me as a petrolhead as of course the diesel will run fine even though the battery is dying

Definatly the alternater. I had exactly the same problem on my car i just bought, an astra with the 1.7td engine. It drove fine all day long but if i turned off the engine it would not start without a jump from another car. I ended up with a new alternater (60 quid plus 30 quid fitting) and a new battery because when the alternater dies it normally takes the battery with it. Dont leave it too long before replacing the alternater because it will kill off your new battery quite quickly because of it not charging it. Try a small garage for the repair work, they can easily check if its charging or not.

Hi Yes it was the alternator, I replaced it yesterday.
I called the local scrap dealers to see if I could get a second hand one, but as it has a brake vacuum pump attached I couldn't get one.

I had to get one on service exchange and it cost me £139....ouch.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Back