Peugeot 307 petrol 2007

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This car has developed a very annoying problem!

If the engine stalls when it is hot during a journey sometimes it fails to start.

It seems the EMS is preventing the starting motor operating because it thinks there is a serious problem.

It will usually restart after 5-15 minutes.

Initially I thought it was low oil level but it never indicated that and it still happens with a good oil level. Then it showed low battery plip. I could not see why that should have prevented it from starting and it locked/unlocked from 100m away no problem. But I replaced the plip battery. But yesterday it again failed to start again.

Now it has ALWAYS eventually restarted ! It does not show any indication of a fault on the panel just fails to run the starter. It never fails to run once started. The fault only affects running the starter motor and sometimes indicates a "STOP" but not always.

I do wonder about an overheat condition but it shows not much over 90C on the gauge and the cooling fans do switch in as required.

The only causes that I am aware of that block the starter motor are:-

Door open.

Low oil level.

Now what other causes can block the starter motor?

Sponsored Links
starter relay fault,bad /loose connections on starter motor , bad /loose earth/starter motor fault.
If you can reproduce fault check you have a feed from relay to starter motor (small wire) while some one cranks car over.

Yes, I suppose that I should check the starter relay.

Although I do suspect that it is a control/EMS fault but as you suggest it is a prerequisite to check the starter relay first in order to remove it from the equation.

The reason that I do not suspect the relay/wiring is that it 100% runs the starter normally and just when the fault occurs it will never start it until the variable delay period has expired.

I don't know if it's relevant to your vehicle, but many systems now need the clutch pedal to be depressed.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Worth looking at all the connections as you say when hot,when items could expand just enough to cause a bad connection
But like i said if you can reproduce the fault best to check feed at starter for crank signal and if no voltage work backwards to find fault
I have not come across any EMS units controling the crank signal only the fuel pump relay, alarm control units have more control over crank signal. But checking a wiring diagramme will confirm this.

A low oil level warning will allow the engine to continue to work but prevent the starter motor from operating.

But ignoring this cause, there is a quiet click when key is operated but no starter turning. Since it always starts again after a wait of 3 to 15 minutes delay I do not have much time to fault find when this happens and its always when I am on the way to somewhere and sometimes in an inconvenient location!

I am guessing there is a small plug in relay which then powers the main relay on the starter motor. Can anyone confirm that and know where that small relay is located?

I think the starter needs a new solenoid - or maybe a reconditioned starter complete. It's so bloody hot where they operate!
I have had one car with a worn out ignition switch too - the barrel was almost hanging out on that one.
John :)

Cars are so useful but so annoying when they come up with annoying faults.

I am starting another thread about a new ABS fault it is showing.

Sponsored Links
Back