1994 VW Golf intermittent starting problems...please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1994 VW Golf has intermittent problems when starting - sometimes, it starts straight away with no evidence of problems at all (starter motor turns fine, engine kicks in after a couple seconds, and runs fine). Other times, i turn the key, and the starter motor just refuses to do anything. Here is what i do know:
The battery is quite new, so that's definately fine, and the alternator seems to be working OK also. No corrosion on the battery.
I have a Lazerline immobiliser (not factory fitted), which i initially thought was the problem, but not so sure now, because sometimes, if i hold the key all the way in the ignition, the starter eventually kicks in (though this only occasionally happens).
I called out the RAC the other day: didn't work when i showed him and he put his meter on the battery - asked me to try again and it started straight away - RAC man couldn't figure out why it had worked - he just wanted to test the voltage on the batt.
Anyone with any ideas?

Sponsored Links
VW ignition switches were a right pain around this time mate - I'd get a new one fitted. You keep the same key and barrel, and the steering wheel has to come off to get to it.
Cheers John

I had wondered about it being the ignition switch because sometimes, when i play about with the windscreen wipers, it starts - i had looked in my Haynes manual, but that says that i need to remove a sheer bolt, and drill into the chamber, so i didn't want to risk it: would i have to go to a VW garage or can i go to any mechanic?

It's a simple enough job to do your self, but need a bearing seperator to get the splined boss off the steering column.
I'd be tempted to get a switch (under a tenner from gsf) and plug it in under the dash and try it for a couple of days.

The other thing that can cause problems is the factory fit immobiliser. If you take off the steering wheel cowling, you'll see a black plastic ring around the key barrel. Often the wires fray on them.

Sponsored Links
thanks John and Neo - I think i'll take the steering column casing off and have a little scope at everything and see if there are any obvious signs.
Neo: what exactly is the switch that you recommended i try out? i had a look on the GSF website, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for: https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/results.asp

Can't seem to find it online. Phone the heathrow branch and speak to john callaghan, he'll sort you out

Many thanks for your help John and Neo.
I think i found the problem...
When i opened up the casing around the steering column, i found that at some point two wires had been joined as there was some loose black electrical tape around it - I reconnected them properly and secured them, and -so far- it's been starting up first time, every time.
So fingers crossed, it's sorted!
If not, then i at least know where to go from there thanks to your help.
Cheers Guys!

That'll be a botched job of an immobiliser install!
Make sure the wires are soldered together and then tape them up again.

you're right about the botched immobiliser install, Neo!
had more problems, so i investigated a little further: the wire that had been spliced into the ignition was a bit of speaker wire that i traced back to the Fuel pump, where it had been wedged into the plug socket!
Decided enough was enough and took the entire immobiliser out - it was a cowboy piece of work all the way through! All the connections had just been wrapped around exposed wires!
Everything is working fine now, and i don't have to go through the rigmarole of disabling the immobiliser anymore, so well pleased.
thanks for your help!

this sounds just like problems i'm having.

very infrequently over the last few years i've had episodes of non-starting, as you describe, nothing at all then all of a sudden it'll fire up just like that!!

this can be a couple of times a day or a few times a week over a fortnight and then it can be ok for 6 months or more. it never seems to be in winter or damp weather, strangely it's quite often on warm sunny days and afternoons, rarely if never in the morning!??!

it started playing up (again) a few weeks ago after being ok for 6 months+ but then it was fine for a couple of weeks (9th-26th) until this afternoon after work. eventually after 20 minutes of almost continuous attempts it fired up just like that out of the blue when i'd almost given up hope.

i'm certain it's ignition switch/immobiliser problem. don't really want to start removing the steering wheel/airbag ect. as it sounds a bit advanced for me!!!

i'll take a look at removing the cowling as you suggest see if anything obvious jumps out....

if you get another switch, you can unplug the wires from the old switch and leave the new switch dangling to test it

Sponsored Links
Back