1 dimmer to 2way switch to 1 dimmer - Is this feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have colour change lights installed. They work off a dimmer switch which adjusts the colour. But the switches are driving me around the bend!!!!!!

I orgininally had 1way swich which opertated the 1st group of lights on/off. That was also operational to the 2way switch in which one of them could switch the 1st group on and off.

I have a 2nd set of lights which operated the same way from the other end. 1way switch to 1 of the 2way switches. The first switch appears to have the mains coming in from the consumer unit and the slave coming off it to the next switch and so on.

I thought that if I replaced the 1way switches with dimmer switches this would work in the same way.

However, what appears to happen now is you can only switch one switch on the 2way in order for the dimmer to be opertational. And if you switch the dimmer off the other end it makes the 2-way switch unoperational. So you then have to switch the dimmer on in order fro you to switch the 2way off.

So it is causing me a major headache? Can anyone help.

Sponsored Links
i dont quite understand the question, but i would love to see your lights, they sound good, any more info.?

how to add a picture is in forum information

Oh, and if you want a dimmer at each end -2 way switching you cant do it with normal dimmers. you need to have special dimmers that are master and slave.

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

The dimmers we have had supplied are master slave dimmers. Will we have to have the master installed before we attempt to attach the rest of the slave switches?

Think that that might be where we are going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Sorry but your description is making no sense, are you confusing "gangs" and "ways"?

2 gang switch= 1 plate with two individual switches

2 way switch = TYPE of switch that can be used with another two way switch to give 2 way control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back