retractive switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two seperate switches in my corridor operating two lights. When you flick either switch both lights either go on or off.

I want to fit a GET button dimmer to this.

I have bought the GET dimmer and a retractive switch.

The first switch was a straight swap for the dimmer switch.

The second switch has COM, 1WAY and 2WAY.

1 Wire going into the COM (black wire)

2 wires going into the the 1WAY (1 grey 1 brown) and 3wires going into the 2WAY. (all brown)

The Multiway retractive switch I want to replace it with has only 2 terminals L and Sw

How do I proceed ? what do I wire where?

Sponsored Links
Why have you bought a retractive switch? Was there one there before?

Sponsored Links
The GET dimmer I bought said that I could only operate it with a retractive switch

Ah, I see. Is there not a wiring diagram that came with the dimmer which tells you how to wire it in?

In the pic there is a nice shiney earth terminal - you need to wire an earth to it. (It won't make it work but should always be done for safety)

yes - but it doesn't say what to do when you have so many wires going into each terminal. The old switch has 3 terminals and the new one only 2.

How does it say to wire up the dimmer exactly? (Forget about the existing wiring for a minute.)

If you post a link to the PDF I could have a look tomorrow. I've got to go right now.

You appear to have a two-way switching arrangement, albeit non-standard.

The Black wire links the common terminals on both switches.

The grey & brown from the switch with one cable feeding it link the L1's & L2's of the switches. At the other switch, there is a switchwire for that light and the terminal with the 3 browns in must be the live loop, as you have the loop at the switches, along with the neutrals in a block at the back of the box.

So, you need a switching arrangement suitable for two-way, unless you make alterations to the switch connections.

Clearly your switches are not suitable for two way, as they don't both have three terminals.

Your GET switch instructions seem to be suggesting that they are wired in parallel using a live feed and a common switchwire back to the lamp, in other words when you press any switch, it will connect the live supply to the switchwire. But does this retractive switch have a time delay built-in? Or is it a simple PTM switch?

I cannot understand how the two will work together & I'm also a bit lost as to what you wish to achieve.

With all GET Electronic dimmers a warning comes with them that says if you are fitting a two way installation a retractive switch is needed.

I'm trying to achieve 1 x dimmer and 1 x switch.

The dimmer seems like an easy install but the other switch is more complictaed.

Can you upload the PDF file?
I'm thinking that it is possible but you may need to join wires, this also depends on where you want the dimmer switch and the retractive switch.
The picture at the top is a bog standard loop in at the switch 2 way arrangement, albeit it without an earthed plate (bad).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back