1 gang 2 way wiring help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bedroom light which is controlled by 2 switches - a wall switch and a pull cord by the bed.

i disconnected the wall switch and didn't write down how to put it back together! :oops:

I've reconnected and although the switches work, one switch will not turn on and off unless the other switch is on and vice versa.

There are 2 red wires and a black wire. I have connected the black into L1, one red into L2 and the other red into C.

Can anyone help???

Sponsored Links
There are not many ways to wire up a 2way switch with three cables. You have tried one already, so there are only five left. Nothing will go bang if you get them wrong, so give them all a go.

Start by swapping the C and L1 connections.

Thanks, I've just swapped L1 with C, but still no joy. The switch on the wall has to be 'on' for the pull chord to work.

Sponsored Links
Please read the information in the Wiki on how 2-way lighting circuits are wired, and buy a multimeter and learn how to use it.

Once you understand how it all works, and have the right tools, you'll be able to fix the problems.

a photo that's in focus and a photo of the cables in the backbox would help us loads..

and technically there are only 3 ways to try.. swaping L1 and L2 wouldn't change the outcome.. just which way was on and which was off..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back