1 radiator is to hot to touch 1 minute then luke warm

oh right, will that shut the radiator down then? i just thought it altered the temperature of the rad
Well, if it shuts it down, the radiator will change temperature ;)

be patient with me lol, do theses valves act like a thermastat on the wall? if set on 6 with the heating on full, will this valve shut down the radiator if it thinks its hot enough?

Sponsored Links
a trv head pushes a pin down stoping the flow of water(simple terms).so taking the head off will in effect give you a constant open rad valve.

if so would replacing it with a normal valve keep the radiator red hot? my house is open plan and gets really cold and this is the rad id love red hot as its in the part we use as living room

exactly - if it thinks that the room is warm enough.

It's go a big hot thing next to it, and a slightly cooler space around it. As the slightly cooler space gets warmer, something inside it expands and pushes down a little pin on the valve, which stops water flowing from the rad and shuts it down.

By removing the head, there is nothing to push the pin down and so the rad stays on.

Sponsored Links
yes the trv acts upon the room temp. thus pushing the pin down slowin/stoping the flow of water to the rad.rad cools down, room cools down.trv opens up again.

these heads easy to take off? as she has put the xmas tree next to it so will try tommorow.....i really do appricate this guys

if so would replacing it with a normal valve keep the radiator red hot? my house is open plan and gets really cold and this is the rad id love red hot as its in the part we use as living room
Er yes, but you should have a room thermostat to prevent excessive heating of the room and cause the boiler to stop burning gas. Current methodology is for all radiators to have TRVs on apart from one, and for a room thermostat to control the whole system using the un-TRV's radiator area as a datum point.

ahhh right that explains it, i have no room thermastat and have been running the boiler on 6 trying to warm up that rad............................
right so bear with me hear..my best plan of attack would be to fit trv's on all rads except the one thats got one now and have a thermastat fitted?
not sure if one can be fitted to my boiler though, how do i find out or can u clever blokes tell me?

ahhh right that explains it, i have no room thermastat and have been running the boiler on 6 trying to warm up that rad............................
right so bear with me hear..my best plan of attack would be to fit trv's on all rads except the one thats got one now and have a thermastat fitted?
not sure if one can be fitted to my boiler though, how do i find out or can u clever blokes tell me?
If it's a boiler, then one can be fitted!

Try telling us its name (as in make and model), then we can help even further.

To save you having wires around the place, you can install a radio controlled one which has a clever little gizmo near the boiler and the room thermostat place wherever you want it, 'cos it's portable.

ideal class ff240!!! i tell you what i wish i could buy u lads a beer as my boiler is on 6 constantly for about 6 hours a night costing me a fortune

siemens programable rf stat. cheap as chips.even has its own back plate so it can be moved around the house.ps you must have a bloody warm house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back