1 switch controlling all spot lights, another only 4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have tried searching on the forum, but can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe not searching for the right thing!

Anyways I want to have 8 spots lights in my living room controlled by one switch. So one switch will turn all 8 on.

Then I want to have another switch which will turn only 4 of them on.

I know how to get them wired so that 1 switch will turn all 8 on, but not sure how I can control it so another switch will only turn 4 of them on.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
carp_3.jpg

You need to split them into 2 sections of 4.

The 8-lamp switch needs to be a double pole switch, one pole switching each section. This will prevent power from the 4-lamp switch back feeding into the other section.

Capture.JPG

Sponsored Links
Using a change over switch means a standard two gang two way switch plate can be used for both switches

Using a change over switch means a standard two gang two way switch plate can be used for both switches
True, and that would be convenient.

One possible confusion for users with either your or OwainDIYer's approach is that, whilst all lights would be on when the 'all-8' switch was 'on', regardless of the position of the other switch, what happened when one switched off the 'all-8' switch would depend on the position of the other one AFAICS, the only straightforward way of avoiding that would involve a 2p2w centre-off switch (hence "8 on"/"all off"/"4 on"), the likes of which I don't think is available as an electrical accessory!

Kind Regards, John

Plan B

Unless the room is enormous, give some serious thought as to whether using lights which are so bad at lighting it up that you need 8 of them is in any way sensible.

If a 2-gang switch was OK, then surely having each gang control 4 lights in the normal way would also be OK?

If a 2-gang switch was OK, what sort of person would cavil at having to press both rockers to get all 8 on?

If a 2-gang switch was OK, then surely having each gang control 4 lights in the normal way would also be OK?

If a 2-gang switch was OK, what sort of person would cavil at having to press both rockers to get all 8 on?

And would allow straightforward 2-way switching...

In some circumstances it may be better to split the lights 5-3 allowing a choice of 3, 5 or 8 lights on - a choice of 3 light levels instead of 2.

Thanks for the replies and discussion chaps.

Have decided to keep it simple and have 1 more lighting options by having 4 of the lights that I want on one switch, the other 4 on another. If I want all 8 on I can press both switches, and if I want the other 2 combinations I can switch those separately.

Cheers!

Attachments

• lighting.png
    lighting.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 208

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back