10.8 KW Electric Shower - 6mm or 10mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A 10.8KW electric shower will draw 10800/230 = 47A. 6mm Twin & Earth when clipped is rated to carry 47A and could safely carry more. Would I be taking a chance using 6mm instead of 10mm??

Sponsored Links
CathalX said:
A 10.8KW electric shower will draw 10800/230 = 47A. 6mm Twin & Earth when clipped is rated to carry 47A and could safely carry more. Would I be taking a chance using 6mm instead of 10mm??

10mm. 6mm is rated for that load in open air. not thru insulation (im not saying your run will be thru insulation, but whichever way you take it, itll heat up at the power)

I agree. Unless the 6mm is already there, you might as well go for the bigger stuff. It costs a bit more but look at it this way. You will get a few extra volts at your shower. The water will run a bit faster at the same temperature. Your shower will take less time. You'll save money.

Sponsored Links
that's the thing - I ran in a 6mm already. The cable is run through an attic and could be changed in an hour and a half. It's not a big job and I'll probably re-do it.

The 64 million dollar question is would an electrical inspector have grounds to fail this part of the installation citing any part of the IEEE Regs as a reason.

CathalX said:
that's the thing - I ran in a 6mm already.
That was careless of you, if you knew that you were going to be fitting a 10.8kW shower.

The cable is run through an attic
Any insulation?

The 64 million dollar question is would an electrical inspector have grounds to fail this part of the installation citing any part of the IEEE Regs as a reason.
Dunno - I have no idea what the rules are in your country, nor what your local (IEEE) regs say...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back