100mm joists, how much insulation in between. 100mm or 150mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

If I have 100mm joists should I put 100mm insulation between them, or is it better to pack in 150/170mm? I only ask because seeing how tightly packed those rolls of insulation are I was a little skeptical it would expand to fill the gaps fully :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is this loft insulation?

Current reg's ask for about 280mm (glass-wool). We normally install 150mm between and another 150mm across, all laid fairly loose, i.e. not packed or rammed.

Hi there

Sorry I didn't explain myself that well. I'll be laying SF19 Foil over the top of the joists as one big joined carpet, and then boarding on top of that so I only need to worry about the area underneath the SF19 and between the joists which is 100mm high.

So do you recommend putting in '100mm' glass wool, or pushing it down a bit and compressing in 150mm wool?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back