10mm run out on floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help Please!!
The part of my shower room floor to be tiled Has a 10mm run out.. the approx dimensions are 1.8x2 mtrs and I'm using large porcelain tiles 600x400 x10mil thick ... the run is across the 1.8 length ..
The floor has not dropped .. it upstairs and the joists sits on walls just a bad build grrrr . I cant take the floor ...
What should I do ... If it ran the other way I would not have minded too much but the low point ends running across the bathroom door!! so I will have a step Cos I didn't allow for it when I bought the tiles ..

Mike

Sponsored Links
What is the floor made of? If you tiling it I presume you are putting down ply that is sealed on the back and sides.

You could remove the existing floor material (i know you didnt want to) and cut fillets to glue and screw onto the joists to make them all level or double up to the joists by putting new joists next to the old, glued and bolted through and you can set these up level from the highest point. it would depend what tools and skills you have available to you and also which way the floor is falling in comparison to the joists as to which method would work best and be easiest to do.

thanks .. cant lay new joists as the ones used by the builder are 2x 40mm joined in the middle vertically by what looks like ply ... think to save money and weight .. but I don't know lol

Are you saying I could lay strips of ply different thickness and make the rest up with adhesive?
The tiled area isn't big .. 1.9 mtr long x 1.4 mtr wide .. the bit under the units I would like done but push come to shove who will see it ... only prob I will know ...

I have a PS .. if I go down the route of strips of ply prob 350 wide should I use just screws or screw and adhesive? I have rapid set flex .. cost an arm and a leg .. for the tiling.. Bal fastflex

Sponsored Links
you will want to cut the wbp ply to the width off your joists..i.e..45mm/50mm in width...

then find where the low spot starts,.. and then level off with the strips of ply..if the run is 10mm then use 9mm thick strips of ply..screwed..

then overboard the joists with min 18mm wbp ply,sealed underside and edges with sbr,..screwed every 150-200mm,then the 1mm differance will be taken up with your tile adhesive(bagged flexiable one)..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back