10mm SWA through cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of building a garden workshop. I've dug a trench for some 10mm armoured cable to go from the house to the workshop. When I drill through the cavity wall of the house should the hole be ABOVE or BELOW the damp proof course?
And is it best practice to have the 10mm cable go all the way to the house consumer unit, or to have it go to a gland on exterior wall, then use twin and earth through the wall to the CU?
I just want to do as much of the graft I can before I get an electrician in.
Thanks in advance for any info...

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the situation Like:

Do you have an undercroft
Where is the CU
What route exists
Etc

If , there’s an Underfloor area , I’d drill straight the Wall under the DPC ,then through the Floor boards to the Consumer Unit, or If a Solid Floor drill above the DPC to the C/U area , it’d be a good idea to sleeve where it goes. Through the Wall as well

I Usually run the SWA straight to the Consumer Unit , if it’s not a metal Consumer Unit , I’d put a Metal surface box below or next to it , then Gland it etc there , then run the Armoured Cable with the secondary Insulation straight through in to the Consumer Unit ,the fewer joints better imo, pics would be helpful all jobs are different.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone for all the info. By 'undercroft' do you mean basement/cellar? If so, then nope. I wish :D

There are only 3 courses of brick below dpc externally. About 5-6 internally below the floorboards. Approx 10ft to CU in a straight line from external wall (no obstacles).
So, I'm guessing I should dig my trench. Drill a hole at a slight angle, and below dpc. Put in some conduit/sleeving. Seal the sleeving with bitumen/silicon or something. Then run the swa straight through to the CU?

Thanks to everyone for all the info. By 'undercroft' do you mean basement/cellar? If so, then nope. I wish :D

There are only 3 courses of brick below dpc externally. About 5-6 internally below the floorboards. Approx 10ft to CU in a straight line from external wall (no obstacles).
So, I'm guessing I should dig my trench. Drill a hole at a slight angle, and below dpc. Put in some conduit/sleeving. Seal the sleeving with bitumen/silicon or something. Then run the swa straight through to the CU?
Undercroft is an underfloor space which you have. It sounds like the easiest route for you.
If you don't have a metal CU it is not compulsory to use a brass gland but your electrician will have his own preferred techniques.

Should speak to the electrician to see what he/she would like you to do as they have to sign it off.

I agree with LuckyPhil

but instead of a "normal" electrical box I used a small di-cast box directly under the consumer unit.

attaching the box to the cable before fitting the box and cable to the wall can make the installation much easier. Ensure the length of cores and inner sheath are long enough to reach the terminals in the consumer unit..

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back