10mm tails 6181y to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok .
here we go anybody know what sort of room there is in a lecky meter for tails its allready has 2 in 2 out 16.0mm tails for feeding the c.u .
the problem i have, is ive got a 4 way old wylex board that prob had the old wire fuses that have been upgraded to b range mcbs i have to put in a 40 amp supply to feed my cooker ive got a 2 way board with incommer slaped next to the main board but theres no room to slap the tails in the L / N terminals.
since its been a while since ive kept up with the regs and dont want to stick a new main board in,would there b room in the meter to slap another pair of 10.0 mm tails the meter is new not fitted by myself and wonderd if any 1 could tell me before i take a look as ive just bought a new holiday home and the meter is NOT owned by the lecky board but there so that the park can split up the units as we get a individual bill based on units used.

i had thought of 2 100 amp junction boxes and spliting the 16.0mm tails between the meter and th C.U and slipping them in there but not sure if this will meet regs. any advise on the issue will be treated as advise and not instruction to works so fire away

p.s i know that the regs have been changed recently to stop d.i.y ers from doing home installations. im not a d.i.y er just wanna know where the regs stand on the issue.
regards monkey

Sponsored Links
madfunkymonkey said:
since its been a while since ive kept up with the regs
But not so long ago, surely, that henley blocks had not been invented?

i had thought of 2 100 amp junction boxes and spliting the 16.0mm tails between the meter and th C.U and slipping them in there but not sure if this will meet regs.
Sounds fine to me.

p.s i know that the regs have been changed recently to stop d.i.y ers from doing home installations.
They haven't actually, but they have imposed requirements for everybody to comply with the Building Regulations, and for some work to be notified to LABC in advance if not done by a registered person.

im not a d.i.y er
In terms of the Building Regulations, and the requirement to notify, you are no different to one.

thanks for the quick reply. im a painter by trade mostly site work i left the trade due to lack of work and ended up runing a newey and eyre trade counter for 4 yrs after starting in the sales office (a girlfriend hated me working away) im now back on the tools and the girlfriend is an x and im happy as larry .
so splitting the tails with henley blocks is what i hoped would b the easy option ..

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
madfunkymonkey said:
im a painter by trade
So regarding electrical work, in what way do you think you're not a DIYer?
in the respect that most diy ers dont do courses in most electrical items
i.e square d . siemens, mem, mk, contactum, merlin , and on and on
ok i dont pretend to know every thing but to sell it u have to know what it does, i was just checking if what i was doing was within regs although its not illegal for me to do it in my home if im not registerd and yes i am a painter , but 4 yrs running a trade counter selling everything u install sorta gives u a bit more of an insight than ya average mc donalds worker.. any way i phoned a sparky that does work for us, and hes said u know what ya doing youve freaked me out enough quoting part numbers and constantly having conversations on what im doing and telling the apprentise hes forgot to shroud the earth , install it ill come and test it so its legal on paper.
if i could turn back time id b a sparky its easy and i enjoy doing it although i do get confused with contacters normaly open normaly closed never got the hang of them when i was selling them, although siemans training was 3 days of beer and food . mental note, less beer more time to dol starters....... and why my brain recalls useless information like ..
u need a bcl link to convert new merlin breakers ( c 60 range ) to the old clamp down type. and a mk twin sockket is mkk2747 (new range of course)and the clean earth is k2757whi .or mco, alm and dont get me started on newlec products coz weil be here all night ,,lol.. any way no affence ment i guess your a sparky who thinks uve done your time and if u havnt trained for it dont touch it but i feel im confident enough to do it and i will . as i said just wasnt sure on the regs.. thanks for the info

You know - I just have this feeling that you've made your mind up, and no matter what anybody says you just aren't going to listen, so I'll not waste my time.

i dont understand what ya saying mate
. is it wrong to split the tails ? no ? then am i in the wrong to install it myself > i asked for info not attitude.?
remember.. next time u visit a trade counter
theres a 85% chance the person thats selling the product and giving u the advise is not a qualified sparky......
oh and u do know that newey and eyre is the largest electrical/wholesale supplier in europe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back