110v flex

Sponsored Links
Odd way of pricing it too - you can buy 1.5mm by the metre for 86p but if you want a 100m drum it is £145.72, almost twice the price.

Odd way of pricing it too - you can buy 1.5mm by the metre for 86p but if you want a 100m drum it is £145.72, almost twice the price.
I can but presume it's an error - and the ratio is also much the same for 2.5mm². ... but, again, it's yellow, which one can get 'anywhere'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
They do orange too. http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...lse&ref=globalsearch&_requestid=85787[/QUOTE]
Ah - BAS might be pleased, and at the same price (per metre - 86p+VAT) as their yellow. That per metre price is actually fractionally less than TLC's per metre price for yellow and blue (88p+VAT).

As for Farnell, the 100m drum, at £90.08, is still slightly more expensive than 100m at per metre pricing (£86.00), but it's a darn site closer than was the case for yellow :)

Kind Regards, John

dont forget my first post in this thread was for 4mm
How can I forget that? :) I basically ignored it because (a) it was eBay, which is not a good basis for price comparisons, (b) 4mm² is ridiculously and unnecessary large a CSA for a 50m 'garden appliance' extension and (c) I seriously doubt whether BAS would be able to get 4mm² cable into his connectors, even if he wanted to.

Kind Regards, John

I'm in two minds of wether or not mine is arctic grade flex, it says H05VV-F on the cable which is the same as normal pvc flex. I thought arctic flex would have H05V3V3-F on it. The cable feels more flexible than normal flex.
Same with that fleabay item, the description says H05VV-F.

I'm in two minds of wether or not mine is arctic grade flex, it says H05VV-F on the cable which is the same as normal pvc flex. I thought arctic flex would have H05V3V3-F on it. The cable feels more flexible than normal flex. Same with that fleabay item, the description says H05VV-F.
I've got a part-used drum of 1.5mm² yellow Arctic here, and it does, indeed, just say H05VV-F on the cable (the drum says it is Arctic).

Kind Regards, John

I could not get 4mm² into a BS 1363 at one end, nor the Masterplug-type outdoor connector at the other. 1.5mm² will be fine - it's for a strimmer/brushcutter/whatever-other-accessory-I-decide-to-buy with a 1kW motor.

Orange/yellow doesn't matter, yellow seems to be more common and cheaper.

What also seems to be the case is that the total of 50m cable + an empty reel to wind it onto is more than a ready-made "110V" extension reel with 60309 bits on.

True low-temperature performance is not important, as I don't find myself using a strimmer in winter, but my existing orange lead, which I want to replace anyway as it's only 2-core, is pretty stiff at all times of the year.

The 110v extension is fairly flexible, if you have a local screwfix then you can have a look before you buy.

110 volt or rather 55-0-55 cable should have core colours brown, black, green/yellow I have as yet to find any. 4 core found with right colours but not 3 core.

However if you did get some British cable with correct colours for cores would not want to use it on 230v as no neutral coloured core.

So really 110 volt cable is 230 volt anyway or it would not have a blue core.

Brown, brown and green/yellow surely?

110 volt or rather 55-0-55 cable should have core colours brown, black, green/yellow
I'm not sure I agree there. AIUI CEEFORM plugs have a live pin an earth pin and an unlabled pin. The unlabeled pin may be either a neutral or a second live depending on the supply characteristics and the cable maker does not know what it is going to be plugged into (he may make an educated guess of course but it's nothing more than an educated guess).

So really 110 volt cable is 230 volt anyway or it would not have a blue core.
Trusting the combination of colors to indicate anything about a cables safe working voltage seems foolhardy to me.

I agree it's very likely that the cable used on a 110V site extension reel is rated to take 240V or more (IIRC the norm for UK flex is 300V line to ground and 600V line to line) but I don't think the core colors can be taken as any indication of that (either postiive or negative)

Trusting the combination of colors to indicate anything about a cables safe working voltage seems foolhardy to me.
Quite so.
I agree it's very likely that the cable used on a 110V site extension reel is rated to take 240V or more (IIRC the norm for UK flex is 300V line to ground and 600V line to line) but I don't think the core colors can be taken as any indication of that (either postiive or negative)
Indeed. As I wrote before, I think one would have to try pretty hard to make 1.5mm² (or larger) flex which could not safely cope with 230V - but that's got absolutely nothing to do with core colours!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back