Arctic cable for extension lead

The means of connection between the caravan pitch socket-outlet and the leisure accommodation vehicle should be an assembly of the
following:
- a plug as specified in BS EN 60309-2;
- a flexible cable type H07RN-F (BS 7919) or equivalent, with a protective conductor and having the following characteristics:
length: 25 m maximum

The use of "Arctic" cable for low voltage (230v) supply to boats and caravans is not permitted. Yes we do it but that does not make it right.

In that case I reckon that 90% of hook ups are illegal

and most have a socket on the end too

Sponsored Links
The means of connection between the caravan pitch socket-outlet and the leisure accommodation vehicle should be an assembly of the
following:
- a plug as specified in BS EN 60309-2;
- a flexible cable type H07RN-F (BS 7919) or equivalent, with a protective conductor and having the following characteristics:
length: 25 m maximum

The use of "Arctic" cable for low voltage (230v) supply to boats and caravans is not permitted. Yes we do it but that does not make it right.

In that case I reckon that 90% of hook ups are illegal

and most have a socket on the end too

Hm. There is a difference between illegal and not recommended.

I realised there would be some surprise at this which is why I gave the link. There is very little legal stuff with regulations most is just a recommendation the BS7671 guides one in how to produce a safe installation it does not say you must do it that way.

Around 14th edition it had more general guidance however there was a move to split the book and produce a guide to a guide with information on how many sockets in a bedroom or how main cables with fit a conduit being moved to the second book. It is all too easy to make a mistake like say must be 1 meter from sink to socket and forget that socket might be under the sink in a completely dry environment.

I remember failing an exam because it gave tick the box alternatives to running a cable and minimum heights 3.5 meters was given in the electrical book but heath and safety manual said to place RLV cables at 2 meters so when 2 meter option or ground was given I selected ground as 2 meters was too low. I also when asked would I repair a broken drill said yes since it was my job but seems exam expected a no answer.

It would seem common sense has gone and we have to follow rule books but it would also seem the writers of the books do not talk to each other. So we end up with conflicting rules.

16th edition said every installation shall be divided into circuits to reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping, the 17th added RCD to that statement in real terms it should have not required spelling out that it does not matter if it's a fuse, MCB, or RCD unwanted tripping should be avoided but clearly it did.

The link was to an IET publication but not the regulations. It is a high ranking official who is interpreting the regulations he does quote them in the paper but it is up to us to read and accept or reject what he says.

Same way although split phase DC in my book is allotted colours split phase AC does not it only refers to single and three phase so it is my interpretation that it should be black other may say it should be grey however clearly it should not be blue that is reserved for neutral.

Just to be pedantic phase colours for split phase are brown and black the blue is reversed for neutral so you will have to sleeve the blue with black sleeving.

I would say they are brown and brown as the second phase conductor is not phase L2 of a three-phase system.

Sponsored Links
I would say they are brown and brown as the second phase conductor is not phase L2 of a three-phase system.

You are quite right it is not phase 2 of a three phase circuit, however it is phase 2 of a two phase circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back