Arctic cable for extension lead

Sponsored Links
Some 'artic' is no better than a decent grade standard cable. But as said, the load/distance are as important as anything else. How much will it be moved/handled?

Daniel

Yellow Arctic is generally used for 110v circuits though there is no rule saying you have to. Depending on the load it may be better to use the 2.5mm version.

Sponsored Links
Yellow Arctic is generally used for 110v circuits though there is no rule saying you have to. Depending on the load it may be better to use the 2.5mm version.

Does that mean i can use H07-RNF with 110V plugs on the end?
Even though is not ideal when on site. :/

Whoops, prehaps "110V connectors on the end" would be a better description. I did mean plug and socket on the end.

Struggling to find some nice flexible arctic, the ones i have are so stiff even when room temperature.
H07 is about 30p cheaper on Electric-Cable.co.uk for 2.5mm 3Core.

Just to be pedantic phase colours for split phase are brown and black the blue is reversed for neutral so you will have to sleeve the blue with black sleeving.

I have never been able to understand why cable for split phase supplies has a blue core or why yellow plugs and sockets have a N on them?

Since you can't find correct cable then does it really matter what you use?

Just to be pedantic phase colours for split phase are brown and black the blue is reversed for neutral so you will have to sleeve the blue with black sleeving.

I have never been able to understand why cable for split phase supplies has a blue core or why yellow plugs and sockets have a N on them?

Since you can't find correct cable then does it really matter what you use?

Who said anything about it being split phase? 110volt supplies can be split phase 55-0-55, they can be 1 phase with earthed neutral, or they can be completely floating as with an isolating transformer.

I'm not sure I agree with this, we aren't talking about fixed wiring here, we are talking about an extension lead. Ceeform connectors do not differentiate between P+N+E systems, 2P+E split phase systems, 2P+E systems derieved from three phase or even 2P+E floating systems.

The person making the lead doesn't know for sure what supply systems it will be used on over it's lifetime. Yes in the UK it will most likely be a split phase system but you don't actually know for sure.

And more generally I don't think standards for portable equipment require a distinction to be maintained between live and neutral anyway, how could they when large parts of europe use reversable plugs.

Whoops, prehaps "110V connectors on the end" would be a better description. I did mean plug and socket on the end.
Electrically there is nothing wrong with it.

It's up to you to decide if the cable is suitable for your application in other ways. Rubber cables are tough and flexible but have a shorter life than PVC. They also tend to come in black which may make them less visible.

We have about a 150ft lead of 2.5mm^2 yellow arctic and is used (all be it with blue ceeforms) for supplying 240v power to a boat, infrequently.

Daniel

In the UK I have only come across one place where 110 - 0 - 110 was used this was an army base erected for the Americans even then it was still 50 Hz and it did not use the standard yellow sockets they were the flat pin American ones.

The 55 - 0 - 55 volt and 230 volt plugs and sockets only vary is shape with the outer part where the lug is in a different place so I can understand having the N rather than L2 marking however the yellow cable is not in the main rated for 230 volt in fact a lot of the blue cable used with caravans is not rated for 230 either according to wiring matters so why have a blue core?

For reduced low voltage systems, low temperature 300/500 V thermoplastic (BS 7919) or equivalent flexible cables shall be used. For
applications exceeding reduced low voltage, flexible cable shall be H07RN-F (BS 7919) type or equivalent having 450/750 V rating and resistant to abrasion and water.

The means of connection between the caravan pitch socket-outlet and the leisure accommodation vehicle should be an assembly of the
following:
- a plug as specified in BS EN 60309-2;
- a flexible cable type H07RN-F (BS 7919) or equivalent, with a protective conductor and having the following characteristics:
length: 25 m maximum
- for current rating 16A: minimum cross-sectional area: 2.5 mm2.
For higher current ratings, the cross-sectional area must be chosen so that secure tripping of the overcurrent protective device is achieved at
the lowest fault current calculated at the end of the cord extension set
- colour identification in accordance with Table 51.
- a connector as specified in BS EN 60309-2.

The use of "Arctic" cable for low voltage (230v) supply to boats and caravans is not permitted. Yes we do it but that does not make it right. Do remember 0 - 110 is low voltage not reduced low voltage so question is still valid why is the core blue rather than black?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back