110v yellow socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was changing one of these today on a transformer.

The original had an extra cutout at about the 2 o clock position.
The replacement didn’t.

What is the key for ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by cut out really.
The important bit is the bulge at 4 o clock in relation to the earth pin,
The two cut outs on the inner bit are just recesses to access the screws holding the gubbins together with the back.
Yellow plugs are stamped 4H and i believe blue ones are stamped 6H

Sponsored Links
The two cut outs on the inner bit are just recesses to access the screws holding the gubbins together with the back.
The funny thing is, and I'd completely forgotten this until you reminded me, when I first started working with these I asked what the 4H & 6H stood for, I was told horse power.

Oh yeah your right :). Probably for the screws. I remember when making an extension lead up decades ago

There's a whole family of these. I agree that the 4h & 6h are the most common in the UK, but....

upload_2021-11-16_18-2-14.png

At work, we have some 9h blue 5 pin versions for 208V 3phase 60Hz.. Several times we've been told by "inspectors" that they are wrong & that blue must be 3 pin 230V :)

There's a whole family of these. I agree that the 4h & 6h are the most common in the UK, but....

View attachment 250924

At work, we have some 9h blue 5 pin versions for 208V 3phase 60Hz.. Several times we've been told by "inspectors" that they are wrong & that blue must be 3 pin 230V :)
Yeah bl***y infuriating isn't it? That chart doesn't show them but I've fitted 5 pin orange for that exact situation.
I may very well still have some blue 4 pin 8h's where I could only source them in a box of 12.
Going back a lot of years the plugs and sockets often had the ability to set them at any of the 'h' positions. One of the jobs I worked on had sockets dedicated to particular pieces of equipment and the 'h' positions set differently to prevent incorrect connexions.

I seem to remember the Reyrolle 110 volt plug and sockets came in two versions fused and unfused, you could plug either into fused socket outlet, but only the fused plug into an unfused outlet.

I seem to remember the Reyrolle 110 volt plug and sockets came in two versions fused and unfused, you could plug either into fused socket outlet, but only the fused plug into an unfused outlet.
The type where the fuses are the plug pins?:(:censored:(n):evil:

The type where the fuses are the plug pins?:(:censored:(n):evil:
Yes spot on, I have issues with 110 volt supplies without 16 amp fuses or overloads on the output. With a 10 amp overload on the supply to a 55-0-55 volt transformer it needs (230x10)/55=41.8 amp on the output before it trips. A 1.5 mm² likely the cable will melt before the overload trips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back