Using 110V 16A cable with 240V supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some yellow 110v 16A extension cables that were surplus from a construction site. Is it possible to:
1) Change the plug & socket and use as an extension cable on a 240V supply (domestic mains)?
2) Use as supply cable for an outside socket again on a 240V supply (supply would be fused and outside socket waterproof type)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have some yellow 110v 16A extension cables that were surplus from a construction site. Is it possible to:
1) Change the plug & socket and use as an extension cable on a 240V supply (domestic mains)?

Blue arctic would be preferable, but I'm not aware of any reg that prevents the use of yellow flex on 230v supplies, assuming suitable connections on either end that cannot be interconnected with 110v equipment. In fact, I have a yellow extension cable somewhere that I bought that way from Tradex many years ago.

2) Use as supply cable for an outside socket again on a 240V supply (supply would be fused and outside socket waterproof type)

As it's arctic cable, it is suitable for outdoor use, but you would have to consider whether it really affords adequate mechanical protection to simply be clipped along an outside wall. You would also need to ensure the conductors are of suitable CSA for the intended installation.

Sponsored Links
RF lighting wrote

Also, it will look gash (unless you have a yellow house)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I would have to agree.

Use it for 240v extension leads by all means (not ideal imo, but acceptable) but dont use it to run in an outside socket-yuk!

Thanks for all replies.
The outside socket is to be at the end of the garden and I was intending to put the cable in a duct laid just below ground level along the fence line. I agree that exposed yellow cable would look naff.
Also would it be OK to retain a 110V plug on one length of cable and a 110V socket on another length of cable to join them within the duct?

No - flex isn't suitable for burial unless it is in an earthed metalic conduit.

As it's arctic cable, it is suitable for outdoor use, but you would have to consider whether it really affords adequate mechanical protection to simply be clipped along an outside wall. You would also need to ensure the conductors are of suitable CSA for the intended installation.

Arctic grade does not mean it is suitable for outside use in fixed wiring.

Arctic grade has been developed to ensure it remains flexible in cold conditions such as on construction sites in the winter when trades are pulling the flexes around.

Whats the point in using a cable designed purely for this purpose when you fix it firmly to a wall?

Why do people use blue or yellow arctic in any fixed wiring installs? Pointless and unattractive.

Thanks for all replies.
The outside socket is to be at the end of the garden and I was intending to put the cable in a duct laid just below ground level along the fence line.
How long will the run be? Have you calculated volt-drop and EFLI to see if they'll be within limits?

When you say "duct" do you mean earthed metal conduit?

And "just below ground level" is not deep enough.

I agree that exposed yellow cable would look naff.
Your whole idea is naff - you're trying to bodge a job using the wrong type of cable, with the wrong lengths and the wrong connectors, installed in the wrong way because you happen to have it and want to save a few bob.

Do it properly or not at all.

Also would it be OK to retain a 110V plug on one length of cable and a 110V socket on another length of cable to join them within the duct?
No.

a) They are not rated for 230V.

b) They are not rated for being immersed in water, which they will be in a duct.

Do it properly or not at all.

Why do people use blue or yellow arctic in any fixed wiring installs? Pointless and unattractive.

Thats easy, no flex on the van other than part of the extension lead :rolleyes:

Never take the wrong colour flex onto a construction site, they'll stop you using it, well, I stopped soimeone using a blue lead with 110v ends on it once.

Everyone loves it when I'm put in charge of paortable construction appliance safety!

1) The connectors stop you using it on the "wrong" things.

2) The cable is electrically the same.

3) The regulations which says yellow cannot be used on 230V, 110V must be yellow, and vice-versa for blue is.....??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back