115/230V shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, might be an easy one but.....

I've just had a shaver socket installed in my bathroom. a standard panel with both a 115v and a 230v socket. In fact, I see in the shops almost all shaver sockets come in this dual format.

1) why???
2) what can i possibly plug into the 115v socket? I've got nothing that even physically fits. what's it actually for?
3) can anyone suggest an adapter for it that i might plug my standard tooth brush charger into for it?
4)why not just put 2 standard 230v sockets together that normal UK folk can use, like our standard electrical wall sockets?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
The 115V sockets are for americans coming over here with their shavers.

Yes its a good point that 2 230v sockets would be more use.

Sponsored Links
No as they will have switched mode power supplies which will automatically adjust to our voltage :D

Should we also be fitting 115V power sockets in case the American also has a phone charger and laptop to go with his shaver?

Absolutely, maybe a whole row of the may different sockets and voltages that are available around the world.

Why has nobody thought of this as a business opportunity before? We could set up "power centres" across the country. To cater for any visitor we would need at least 220,230,240, 110 120 and 127 volt as well as 50 and 60HZ.

People would flock to our centres to recharge their otherwise useless computers and phones.

Anybody interested in this business start up please, PM me and I will send you my bank details. I would need a £25,000 non-returnable deposit so we can get started. I think we would need about 200 partners to get a critical mass and kick off the first centre which would be conveniently sited.

The two sockets on mine are identical. If I plug the shaver into the 110v socket it runs rather slowly, but if I switch the shaver itself to 110v then it works normally. So I can run the toothbrush and my shaver at the same time on the two sockets.

( Is 115v the new 110v ? Do they have different sockets?

The 115V sockets are for americans coming over here with their shavers. Yes its a good point that 2 230v sockets would be more use.
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall that with some (all?) of the 115/230V ones, one can only use one of the outlets at once - i.e. plugging something into one disables the other. Did I dream that?

Kind Regards, John

Should we also be fitting 115V power sockets in case the American also has a phone charger and laptop to go with his shaver?

lol - Don't want to encourage them too much! It's for the 1970 american.

As it has to have an isolation transformer anyway, it doesn't cost much to take another tap off the transformer.

But yes with increased bathroom electrical products a 2nd 230V output would be better, although there is the limit of the transformer to consider.

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall that with some (all?) of the 115/230V ones, one can only use one of the outlets at once - i.e. plugging something into one disables the other. Did I dream that?

It's unbeknown to me what it is that you dream about but if you have a spare evening, maybe we can stick you in a MRI scanner and have a go at finding out?

Kind Regards, John

The sockets are mechanically interlocked so you are physically prevented from using both sides at the same time.
Thanks for the £25k by the way. Did you want to be technical director of the new company?

The two sockets on mine are identical. If I plug the shaver into the 110v socket it runs rather slowly, but if I switch the shaver itself to 110v then it works normally. So I can run the toothbrush and my shaver at the same time on the two sockets.

Have you tried switching it to 110V and plugging it into the 230V socket? Maybe you could shave in half the time?

It's unbeknown to me what it is that you dream about but if you have a spare evening, maybe we can stick you in a MRI scanner and have a go at finding out?
It is quite clear what is being dreamt.
What we need to determine is if it is true or not.
I don't see how the MRI would help in that respect.

It is quite clear what is being dreamt.
What we need to determine is if it is true or not.
I don't see how the MRI would help in that respect.

I was hoping that we might be able to find relics of the dream in the imagery. Obviously that's hugely challenging and if we don't find it, it doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't dreamed.

The sockets are mechanically interlocked so you are physically prevented from using both sides at the same time.
That's what I thought (so not 'in my dream'!) - and I can think of at least two possible reasons (which would apply equally if there were 2 x 230V outlets). Firstly, as has been suggested, it might simply be a question of the capacity/'rating' of the transformer. Secondly, it could be that someone with a pessimistic imagination contemplated the possibility that someone might plug two different things (anything!) in, one of which developed a fault between one side of the isolated supply and some exposed part, and the other of which developed a similar fault to the other side (or midpoint) of the isolated supply - thereby creating a shock risk!
Thanks for the £25k by the way. Did you want to be technical director of the new company?
I'm only in the business of being a director of companies that pay money to me, not the other way around :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back