115/230V shaver socket

To have two outputs usable at the same time will require two separate secondary windings on the transformer the whole idea is a very limited amount of power, socket on only when plug inserted and since only one item used very little chance of multi faults causing both live wires of being touched at the same time.

If you want two outputs then fit two sockets. Do be aware not all shaver sockets are rated for continuous use only if it has picture of tooth brush on it can it be used for a tooth brush.

Sponsored Links
To have two outputs usable at the same time will require two separate secondary windings on the transformer the whole idea is a very limited amount of power, socket on only when plug inserted and since only one item used very little chance of multi faults causing both live wires of being touched at the same time.
Quite so. It feels like the 'IT' thread all over again!

Kind Regards, John

so, to clarify, the 115V socket is purely for the american folk with their american electricals. ok. (still confused why the vast majority of boxes marketed to us UK folk have the americans in mind as well)

is there an adaptor or anything i can buy that'll allow me to plug my english things into it then?

is there an adaptor or anything i can buy that'll allow me to plug my english things into it then?
As has been explained, even if you had 'English things' which would work of 115V, what you cannot do is to plug things into both the ('UK' and 'US') outlets simultaneously - for good reasons, they are designed to not permit that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The whole idea is to have an isolated supply i.e. it only feeds one item. The secondary of the transformer will allow with very little extra cost a centre point tapping so having 110 and 230 volt costs very little extra and for extra safety using the 110 where one can make some sense. However you can't use both.

I did see these sockets which would allow 2 to fit in a duel back box however when one reads on it states
Must not be installed in a bathroom or shower room. Designed for wiring onto lighting circuits
The transformers are just too big to fit two in the space if you want two outlets then use two shaver sockets.

or use the outlet on the shaver light (are these out of fashion?) for one item

and a shaver socket for an other.

I did see these sockets which would allow 2 to fit in a duel back box ... however when one reads on it states
Must not be installed in a bathroom or shower room. Designed for wiring onto lighting circuits
I can but presume that it actually is isolated (particularly given that the spec indicates a 200 mA max load)? I ask, because the technical data sheet for it says (my emboldening):
Non-isolated, fused, shaver socket outlets must never be installed in any location subject to splashes, condensation or damp conditions.
... which seems a bit odd!

Kind Regards, John

I can but presume that it actually is isolated
You can.

You'd be wrong, of course, but you can presume it.

(particularly given that the spec indicates a 200 mA max load)?
On the web page it says "INCORPORATES A SELF-RESETTING OVERLOAD DEVICE, LIMITING CURRENT TO 20VA". Never knew that that was the dimension of current.

which seems a bit odd!
What seems odd to me is that they should feel the need to limit the current drawn to 200mA when there's no transformer to overload.

And if the instructions are to connect it to a lighting circuit, what's the fuse for?

I can but presume that it actually is isolated
You can. You'd be wrong, of course, but you can presume it.
I see!
(particularly given that the spec indicates a 200 mA max load)?
On the web page it says "INCORPORATES A SELF-RESETTING OVERLOAD DEVICE, LIMITING CURRENT TO 20VA". Never knew that that was the dimension of current.
I never knew that, either, but I was quoting from:
which seems a bit odd!
What seems odd to me is that they should feel the need to limit the current drawn to 200mA when there's no transformer to overload.
If there's no transformer, then I agree. Maybe they're just trying to deter people from plugging their fan heater into this 2-pin socket 'on a lighting circuit'
And if the instructions are to connect it to a lighting circuit, what's the fuse for?
Unlike the page to which eric linked, the spec sheet I'm looking at (as above) doesn't mention lighting circuits - but, in relation to the page which does say that, you tell me!

If you recall, the man at MK did tell me (when I was asking about double socket 'ratings') that the marketing department wrote many of their 'Technical Data Sheets'!!

Kind Regards, John

I wonder if BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 only requires the plugs to be capable of handling 200mA?

I use mine for charging camera batteries, as the chargers are from Canada, the shaver socket works nicely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back