12 Double Electrical sockets stopped working??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On saturday around 2pm my TV switched off. I tried to put it back on and no joy. Check my PC and that was off. Thought it had tripped so i checked the fuse box and all is fine. i switched them on and off to see if that would work and no joy. After an hour i identified that 12 sockets double do not work. this house is over 3 years old. 3 Rooms are effected and a halll way.

Since buying the house there has only been a spur socket installed which was for a flat screen TV etc. This spur socket and from where it is attached from works fine. Can anyone shed some light on what i should check?

p.s. the house is 3 storey. The power there are 2 ring mains R1 and R2 on the fuse box. I do not know which sockets on which ring main etc. I have unplugged all items that were on these sockets that dont work.

Please suggest thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you have a multimeter (or at least something like a Steinel Multi Check) and you're happy removing the cover from your consumer unit then a good place to start would be by checking for a supply on the outgoing side of both breakers feeding the ring finals. You need to be aware that there will be exposed live parts in there when you remove the cover, if you're not confident working in this sort of environment then don't do it.

The fact that so many sockets have dropped out suggests an entire ring or possibly a broken radial circuit, what size (how many amps) are the breakers feeding said circuits? If you do take the cover off the CU then you'll know if you've got a ring because there will be two red or brown conductors entering each MCB, or only one for a radial. At the moment I'd suspect a loose connection inside the consumer unit or a broken MCB, but you need to do some further testing and report back.

there isnt a fused spur anywhere is there with a blown 13A fuse in it? would be excessive to have 12 sockets after such a spur but ive seen it done.

failing that id say loose connection on a radial circuit could be possible, dodgy mcb also possible but unlikelly. what size are the breakers protecting the socket circuits?

Sponsored Links
Do check again your consumer unit. If there is an item marked 'RCD', make sure that it is fully in the on (up) position.
Some RCDs go to a midway position when they trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back