12 Volt Lighting - Where to put Transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting some 12 volt downlights in a kitchen ceiling, the ground floor of a two storey house. Rather than fit the two transformers, which are rather large, in the ceiling where once the bathroom floor is down are going to be a real pain to get to, I would like to fit them in the kitchen, somewhere that is accessible. I'm thinking sitting the transformers on top of one of the kitchen cupboards and drilling a hole in the ceiling to run the cables through. There is about six inches between the top of the cupboard and the ceiling.
Is this acceptable ?
Would I have to box the transformers in to keep them out of the way of hands reaching on top of the cupboards ?
Or do I just have to accept they will have to go in the ceiling.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its a better idea to have one tx per light. Then you can right them in the ceiling with access via the fitting hole.

Due to the extra current involved with 12volt, you need to consider the length and size of the wires, between the trans and lights.

Some trans recomend a maximum length etc in the instructions.

The trans will need to, not be too enclosed as they will overheat and cut out
The connections need enclosing but the actual trans should be safe to touch, although I would screw them down if poss

Also it may get part p involved in the kitchen if that bothers you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back