12 volt tyre inflator, and another one bits the dust, but now working again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years I have had many type inflators, in the main on failing and stripping down, I find very poor quality, the big ends are often a hole drilled in aluminium which has worn oval until a point where it jams. Often only option is to dump it, and buy yet another. Even those which look good quality, with digital displays and ability to set the cut out pressure on failing and stripping have been very poorly made.

So when my Lidi one failed, I thought time for another, but never the less I would have a look, well motor shaft was two roller races, and big end a sealed roller bearing. The brush had stuck no sign of brush holder melting, and on reassembly it is back in use. Not easy to reassemble, but for once a tyre inflator which seems to be well made.

Sponsored Links
Personally I have found them to be pretty good until you try to inflate anything above 40 PSI regularly, then they seem to go off pretty quickly.

My sister bought me one of these about 6 years ago and still going strong. It cuts out at 0.5 psi above set pressure so for 30psi, set it to 29.5.

Sponsored Links
My Woolworth branded inflator/lamp from parents for Christmas back in 1980 or 81 is still going strong.
Used to inflate the single axle caravan tyres to 60/65psi when needed.

I do hanker after a new one, but why when it still works? I do have another inflator under the floor of the car for the tyre gunk 'spare' :ROFLMAO:.

As I have said before this is what you want:

Quality footpump - enlarged.jpg

Depends how often, how much, and what you use it for, but maybe consider a small compressor

I've had two cordless versions over the past 5 years & the second is still doing the job, albeit taking a little longer now to reach the pre-set pressure.
The battery will provide power to top-up the pressure on all 4 tyres of my SUV every couple of months, plus the spare which always looses about 1 pound of pressure per week because the tyre outlet has never been able to find a leak, despite stripping the wheel down & rebuilding with fresh sealant/valve.

In my experience it is the compressor that gives out with usage, not the motor or battery.
As I have said before this is what you want:

View attachment 307702
Got one (Dunlop) had it for years, belonged to my late father & came out of a late 'thirties Morris 8.
Replaced the leather washer a few years ago.

I tried a china hand-gun like compressor and impressed. Light weight, small, low noise, fast, and likely to last forever.

I tried a china hand-gun like compressor and impressed. Light weight, small, low noise, fast, and likely to last forever.
I think the word 'forever' is a tad optimistic :unsure:
However these things do represent value for money IMO

Instead of a plastic levelling ramp, for this year, I have replaced it with an inflatable bag. by the name of 'lock n level'. You just run the lowest side tyre onto the bag, then blow it up until side to side level - a similar idea to what the fire-brigade use, as a lifting bag. I had a HP cycle tyre pump in the garage, which worked when I tried it, but I decided to buy a cheap, pound shop 12v pump, to save physical effort. The pump cost me around £6, and is just a bare-bones pump.

My car is 16+ years old, in the boot it has the original space-saver wheel and original toolkit, neither of which have ever been used. I checked it's pressure last month, the first time I have checked it for many years - it was down to 46 psi, so needed an extra 4 psi to bring it back up to spec.

Sponsored Links
Back