125mm inline fan with 100mm ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Will a 125mm inline fan suffer much of a reduction in performance if connected to 100mm ducting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Mines been in a couple of years and still performs fine . There will be some loss of performance , is it kitchen .

No, in a bathroom.

Also, can the ceiling vent for it go above the bath?

You’ll reduce the possible air through the duct by about 40%. Will that be sufficient air throughput to adequately clear the room? There are lots of room/fan calculators on the Internet so you can check.
Why not do it properly and use 125mm duct, etc.

The air inlet for an in-line fan can go anywhere you like. I assume it doesn’t have any electrical component (like a light) in it?

PS pedantic point: a vent is where the air extracts from, not where it comes in!

Sponsored Links
Bit of a ball ache replacing all the ducting and the 100mm outlet vent in wall. If we're looking at up to 40% reduction in performance then I'll have no choice. The fan is rated at around 350m³/hour airflow and theyre going in a bathroom and shower room, both approx 3m X 2m.

You’ll reduce the possible air through the duct by about 40%. Will that be sufficient air throughput to adequately clear the room? There are lots of room/fan calculators on the Internet so you can check.
Why not do it properly and use 125mm duct, etc.

The air inlet for an in-line fan can go anywhere you like. I assume it doesn’t have any electrical component (like a light) in it?

PS pedantic point: a vent is where the air extracts from, not where it comes in!
This article seems to disagree with you https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/what-happens-air-flow-ducts-when-size-changes It seems that the flow is not reduced but the air pressure exiting the duct increases.

Aside from the performance issues, it will make more noise, I guarantee you. That would be enough for me to not do it.

Hmph. Obviously i need to get a PhD in an ology.
I was working on the same principle as in plumbing. If the article in the link is correct, you wouldn’t need larger pipes at the supply end and smaller pipes at the delivery end. You could just have 15mm pipes into everybody’s house straight off a 200mm mains pipe.

And, if air ducting is different, let’s just use a 5mm dia straw off the 125mm fan. Nah, there’ll be a loss in air throughput.

Aside from the performance issues, it will make more noise, I guarantee you. That would be enough for me to not do it.

What, using 100mm ducting on a 125mm fan as opposed to 125mm ducting will be noisier, or an inline fan in general will be noisier than a standard extractor?

I'll have a flick through that article, but I'll fit it expecting some loss in performance. I'm going to be lazy and just use existing 100mm ducting and fingers crossed it'll suffice for the job. Ducting us cheap enough, so worse case scenario I'll have to pick some up and replace the 100mm. Thanks for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back