12v For Kitchen or CFL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
MR16 and GU10s use the same power for a given wattage.

CFLs use significantly less.

People designing kitchens / bathrooms will always recommend halogen downlighters. They are stuck in the naughties. Sadly we no longer live in a world where we can burn electricity so frivolously.

The lights in your first link are ideal for actually lighting a room. Halogen are ok for display lighting, but better technologies of spot lighting are now available - compact fluorescent GU10s. TLC sell these

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...hts_Index/Downlights_Energy_Saving/index.html
(Tip: you dont need fire rated stuff unless theres another flat above you)
These are a compromise, because they take 2 minutes to reach full brightness. One of the reasons they havent really taken off yet.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...lights_Index/Commercial_Downlights/index.html
This is the real deal, PL downlights. The type of thing you see in banks, much better than GU10s. Instant startup at 80% brightness, full brightness within 30 seconds.

Any more Q's, ask.

PS, 12 of those 50w downlights = 600 watts. It dont take a genius to see that you could turn off your heating and it'd be warm enough. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Thanks Steve.

Those PL downlights are more or less what I had decided on.

Its just that I wanted a chrome surround, having trouble finding those.

Plan to get 6 for the kitchen of 4 x 4.5m.

Who else might sell?

JCC?

Sponsored Links
I think JCC only deal with trade. The second one looks interesting - same lamp, only vertical! But I think it'd be more directional light than the Atom.

The standard response for a request for "downlights for residential premises" is "halogen downlights". Its programmed into all their salesmen from birth. And old habits die hard. You'd think the electricity companies were paying them commision or something ;)

Its just that I wanted a chrome surround, having trouble finding those.
QMDL50C.JPG

With Genura lamps in them.

How many for a 4 x 4.5 kitchen?

So these are better than Halogen or the PL's?

I would have thought that 6 of them would be fine.

Definitely better than halogens, and what I think makes them better than the PL luminaires is that the light source isn't recessed, so you get a good spread.

Downsides are that they aren't dimmable, and the lamps contain the control gear, so are a bit wasteful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back