12v in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im considering installing a shower cubicle, similar to this.

https://www.insigniarange.co.uk/product.aspx?id=438

The installation instructions state that an qualified electrician must be used to connect the power supply and it must meet current regs. However the cubicle runs on 12v dc and is supplied with a 250v standard uk mains plug, connected to a 12v transformer and rcd and a 12v lead to plug into the shower cubicle.

First question. Are there any regs on using 12v in a bathroom?

Second question. Assuming it was plugged in to a mains socket externally to the bathroom, would this be acceptable?

When a item is supplied with a standard mains plug, I can't figure out why I would need an electrician to come and plug it in for me. Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Are there any regs on using 12v in a bathroom?
Yes, all the usual ones which apply to other voltages.

Assuming it was plugged in to a mains socket externally to the bathroom, would this be acceptable?
Yes.
Removing the plug and connecting to an FCU in the bathroom would also be an option. Or a flex outlet plate with an FCU elsewhere.
If the bathroom was huge and the flex very long, the socket could even be in the bathroom.

I can't figure out why I would need an electrician to come and plug it in for me.
You don't. Even if wired in, using an electrician is not compulsory.

Manufacturer's instructions are guidance only and do not have to be followed, especially when they are wrong.

The installation instructions state that an qualified electrician must be used to connect the power supply and it must meet current regs. However the cubicle runs on 12v dc and is supplied with a 250v standard uk mains plug, connected to a 12v transformer and rcd and a 12v lead to plug into the shower cubicle.
To be fair, the instructions state that a Fused Connection Unit may be used.

First question. Are there any regs on using 12v in a bathroom?
The power supply must only be fitted in permitted areas.

Second question. Assuming it was plugged in to a mains socket externally to the bathroom, would this be acceptable?
Yes, a bit naff, though.

When a item is supplied with a standard mains plug, I can't figure out why I would need an electrician to come and plug it in for me. Or am I missing something?
You do not need one to plug it in for you , but, to be fair again, it is quite feasible that some people might decide to fit a socket right next to it.

Therefore it is easier to state that an electrician should do it and, indeed, you are asking some how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Just done a bit more research on this model, and the 12v is just to power the LED lights and radio. There is an option to use a battery pack for this, so no requirement for any electrical connections.

I hope you've confirmed that the bulbs are replaceable with off-the-shelf standard ones, not a special manufacturer's spare part which they might stop making, or you could find that when they fail you need to replace the entire shower cubicle.

And where do you connect a duct for the fan - surely it doesn't just pump steam out into the bathroom?

not a special manufacturer's spare part

You should read the installation manual BAS, I found it amusing, you may find it infuriating maybe!! You can buy spare LEDs from them, yes, but you have to buy all 24 of them!!

From the plumbing side of things...

The Manual said:
ALWAYS FIT EASY TO GET TO ISOLATION TAPS ON BOTH THE HOT AND COLD WATER SUPPLY (NOT SUPPLIED). THIS PRODUCT MUST BE ISOLATED WHEN NOT IN USE.

Ahhh, the convenience of having two ball valves to operate before and after every shower!!

You can even answer your land-line phone while you're in there!

You can buy spare LEDs from them, yes, but you have to buy all 24 of them!!
And of course they guarantee to maintain availability for 20? 30? years? And not to engage in rapacious pricing?

I wonder what you do when the radio packs up? And WTH needs a radio in a shower anyway? It's not like a bath where you might spend time relaxing.

As for a phone....

Can't help thinking that a separate tray&enclosure, shower, and lights in the bathroom cieling would be more sustainable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back