12v LED Undercounter lights-Fused Plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought some of these with a transformer online and I notice that the transformer plug does not have a fuse (or one that can be seen).
Since ordering I`ve seen something on the BBC Watchdog program about "Made in China" plugs without a fuse that could be a problem.
I simply plan to put these under the kitchen wall cupboards.

Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The "plug" is almost certainly a switch mode power supply unit (SMPSU ) and not a transformer ( which has two coils of wire on a magnetic core ).

There are quite a few electronic components in the "plug" and failure can lead to short circuits across the mains. With a short circuit and no fuse in the plug then the current through the short circuit is limited only by the fuse or MCB in the consumer unit. That could be a 32 amp MCB which could result in around 8 kW of power being created inside the plug for a few seconds before it burns out. It will almost certainly catch fire ( most of the China Export plastic varies from inflammable to highly inflammable .

Bought some of these with a transformer online and I notice that the transformer plug does not have a fuse (or one that can be seen).
Since ordering I`ve seen something on the BBC Watchdog program about "Made in China" plugs without a fuse that could be a problem.
I simply plan to put these under the kitchen wall cupboards.

Any comments appreciated.

It is called a wall wart and contains electronic components to produce a supply suitable for LEDs, (not a transformer). I've never seen a wall wart with a BS1362 fuse, but they often have fusible components which are non replaceable.

The non fused plugs on Watchdog were clover leaf shaped moulded plugs on leads which had no fuse. These are nothing new. The first one I came across was over 20 years ago at work which I took straight to the safety officer who took it up with the supplier. Around a year ago I observed one in use on The Gadget Show in vision.

This thread:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/illegal-13a-plug-on-gadget-show.419861/

Picture in post 8.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back