13 amp power socket fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a laptop charger which I keep plugged into a 13amp switched d/socket. When I need the charger and switch on the socket that side, I have recently started to notice a short clicking noise just after flicking the switch. I have been keeping an eye on the socket and seeing if it is getting warm or hot when in use but noticed nothing!
Then one evening when I switched off the socket my RCD on the consumer unit tripped. I switched the RCD back on and all was restored and haven't used this socket since.
If I change this socket,its about ten years old, do I need to have the circuit tested? I know the regs on electrics restrict the diyer but I understand you are allowed to change a light switch or socket like for like provided its not in a kitchen or bathroom?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm quite sure you're allowed to change a socket. I have done it, anyway.

However, the clicking sound may be nothing to do with the socket itself. The rest of the circuit and the matter of the RCD is something I'd leave to a qualified electrician.

Edit: You might be wise to ask the mods to move this to the Electrics forum.

By 'short clicking' I presume you mean arcing; this can lead to the RCD tripping.

Just fit a new socket - it's not quite a police state yet.

Sponsored Links
Of course, if it is arcing it could just be a loose connection in the socket. Tightening it up again means you wouldn't have to shell out for a new socket.

Invaluable advice from a tight-fisted Yorkshireman.

(It looks like you don't have to move this to the Electrics forum anyway!)

Is the clicking coming from the charger ? It could be arcing inside

I have over the years replaced many faulty sockets. Mainly due to the switch and one does wonder if the switch is good or bad?

I would never dream of informing the LABC to swap a socket. I would however test it. But I am lucky I have a full test set.

So question if I didn't have a full test set would I swap it. Well being honest yes I would.

You can change the socket legally under part p and can also cheaply buy a martindale plug in tested that will check alls ok for you.

He may change it. We don't know if he can. And being able to is important, given the requirements of Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back