13 amp sockets on work surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This corner unit will have no suitable location for "standard" vertical wall mounted 13 amp sockets. To the right is the sink area and to the left the hobs. Leaving some 6 square feet without access to power.

Kitchen.jpg

Vertical distance from work top surface to window cill is 62 mm

The only idea I have at the moment is to use the sloping front type of housing for the sockets but cannot verify these are permitted on a kitchen work top.

The only type I can find is the MK Glasgow Bench trunking which is 45 degree slope at at 92 mmm height is too high.

I recall a "laboratory" type of mounting for 13 amp with a less steep slope for the sockets but cannot locate them.

(( Part P requirements are fully catered for ))

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The only idea I have at the moment is to use the sloping front type of housing for the sockets but cannot verify these are permitted on a kitchen work top.

OP is already trying that idea..

personally i think pop up sockets in a kitchen are a recipie for trouble, liquids are bound to get in.

I doubt there are any specific regs on this but you must consider external influences. That is you want the sockets somewhere that water won't get in even if the worktop is flooded.

plugwash said:
personally i think pop up sockets in a kitchen are a recipie for trouble, liquids are bound to get in.

This is my concern with both pop ups and setting the sockets horizontally in the work top. Access to the cables is also a problem should there be a problem later.

how about a square frame of the same material as your worktop with the socket set horizontally in the middle?

I hear what you're saying, Plug & Bernard, and I'm keen to learn. Is a 13amp FCU reasonable protection ?

For a pop up I would use a 13amp FCU to protect against failure of the flexible connections inside the pop up. That still would not protect against hazards from spilt liquid becoming live so an RCD is ( in my opinion ) mandatory.

Pugwash's idea of the raised area made from the same material seems the way to go.

Cool - I've spurred mine off the downstairs ring, which cleary is RCD protected.
Many thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back