5 amp surface socket 50mm x 50mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to an error I need to fit a 5 amp un-switched surface mounted socket in a space 60 mm wide. ( design was for a standard size but the tape measure lied to me :mrgreen:

I can find a Euro sized 5 amp socket but cannot find a 50 mm by 50 mm box in which to fit it.

Are they available anywhere ?

Sponsored Links
Can't help you with that as such, but could you get away with an alternative connector? MK do a kilk type lighting connector to fit on an architrave box for instance...

K3212 I think

I intiially thought of the ones MK sell for fitting on conduit boxes but it seems a conduit box socket is 68mm so a bit big for your application.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Robin. That will work in this situation, much appreciated. The lamp will never need to be plugged into any other socket so being an odd man out doesn't matter.

Plugwash, A circular conduit box might just fit. I will look at that as well.

John An other good idea

I think that the MK 995/997 'clock connectors' are only 65 x 65 - any chance one of those would fit?

Kind Regards, John

Does it have to be a BS 546?

You'd have to find a suitable box for it, but Crabtree do a BS 1363 panel mounting socket whihc needs a 50mm round aperture, and has screw fixings on 60.3mm centres.

MK is owned by Honeywell. Hager is an independent German company.

I believe KLIK is just a connector type. Same products made and sold by others (Rock Ashley) e.g..

MAybe they just buy the components from the same place and badge them (other than the MK is out of focus ;) ).
Yes, that's possible - it's hard to believe that they would have independently come up with such similar/identical designs of their own. If you would but believe it, that out-of-focus pic of the MK one is the best I could find in any MK documentation!
Hager make a big play of the Klik lighting system now with lighting distribution systems, multi-outlet marshalling boxes, etc.
http://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/lighting-connection-control/klik/38631.htm[/QUOTE]
... and MK seem to be doing a bit of competing (click here)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the ideas, The architrave socket would have sold the problem.

After a bit of more careful thinking I believe I can re-arrange things a bit and then a standard surface box should just fit.

That said the architrave socket may still have to be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back