Plug-in spur advice needed please

i'd be tempted to use a keyswith FCU, stops it being turned off accidentally.

Can you provide a link so such a device, i've never heard of one before.

presumably you isolate things frequently, so the want of multiple switches.

Yes. I need to have 3 sub-circuits. One for server, one for workstation, and one for printer.

This allows me to only provide power to what is needed, from the convience of one switch panel.

not sure about your UPS, does each circuit have its own protection, or merely there for convenience?

mine has 3 independent circuits, which I then switch via the software, although most stays on permanantly.

It has 3 socket outlets that are battery backed-up, but they are all on the same circuit. There is no outlet control from the software.

Sponsored Links
You want to be changing the 1G1W switch for an FCU with 3a fuse, then you can put a 13a fuse in the first FCU

You want to be changing the 1G1W switch for an FCU with 3a fuse, then you can put a 13a fuse in the first FCU
Seems a strange solution, if you need to protect the UPS at 3a then the fuse should be in the plug feeding it. The output stage of the UPS will have its own internal protection.

If you can't find one, you could always use a 2-module grid plate with a key switch module and a fuse module.

But on the whole I think that some people are too influenced by environments where there are mischievous and/or dozy tw**s with all this talk of things being turned off accidentally.

Sponsored Links

K963_KO_ALM_medium._1.15.p2_.jpg

MK part no: K963KOALM

Seems a strange solution, if you need to protect the UPS at 3a then the fuse should be in the plug feeding it. The output stage of the UPS will have its own internal protection.

If the UPS needs a 3a fuse, fine it can go in a FCU for the UPS or in the plug for the ups. The first FCU is going to feed 6 sockets so it should have a 13a fuse in it, are you telling me that having 6 sockets and a light on a 3a fuse is a good idea?

A 5A fuse for the whole lot wouldn't satisfy regs if you wanted to use the ups to full capacity and have the light separate.

How it this going to be set up? If the UPS isn't going to be mounted the wall (under the desk perhaps?) is there any need to wire it into an FCU?

I don't have a UPS but I have sockets above and below the desk, I can turn them all off via a switch by the door (bar a couple for phone, cable modem etc which stay on all the time), the ones on my desk are switched sockets and I can also switch off some under the desk with another switch, it depends what your needs are with regard to the switching.

For something simple how about a 13A FCU above desk which switches an adjacent 3AFCU for the light, a single socket wherever you want it and a flex outlet under the desk. Put sticker 'non-UPS supply' by the socket.

Mount the UPS to the wall under the desk and wire it into the flex outlet (fed by the 13A FCU), Now install another flex outlet (in reality you would do them all the smae time) Put a 5a fuse in a plug and wire it into the flex outlet, then plug into UPS. From the second flex outlet wire in 2.5mm (you could use 1.5mm) t&e to all your sockets. If you mount the surface boxes butting up to each other there will be no cable on show.

This assumes you cannot modify the UPS unit and it can use a flex with a 13A plug on it.

You should assess the suitability of the extra load on the circuit if you do add more higher power stuff fed from the other socket.

Also to do this properly you will have to wire in to the existing ring (not a spur) or radial circuit in 2.5t&e

(disclaimer- follow advice at yr own risk!)

EDIT: got confused should read a little better now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back