13amp Cookers?

ssw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks - my first post.

I work for a charity with limited means and we wish to install a standard (60cm max) cooker in a kitchen without 30amp supply. Is there such a thing as a 'standard' cooker (i.e. not Baby Belling types) which will run off a 13amp power supply? Or is there another way round this problem?

I have heard that AGA do something like this, but am unsure of details.

All help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If you are running off a 13A BS1363 socket you are limited to 13Amps
IxV=W therefore 13 X 230 = 2990W or 2.9kW

Most oven will fall below this but check.
You are unlikely to find a hob to come under this limit and certainly not if the two are combined in one unit.

You will have to limit yourself to a build-under single oven (where you can only use the grill or the oven, not both together). If you need rings too, you can get double ring plates, but these are both domestic appliances. Not sure how you would go on with warranty if they broke down.

Mind you, if you're running the oven and two rings together, you'll be pulling nigh on 26A on the ring main, which may be bad. Have you got a dedicated ring just for the kitchen?

If not, then you're loading up your power circuit with very little to spare for other appliances (like plug-in heaters??).

It may be better all-round to bite the bullet and install a 45A 10mm² dedicated radial for a cooker, then you have all bases covered, and don't need to worry about diversity.

This will leave the ring free for other plug-in appliances.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back