13amp Plug in Hob tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I hope you can help.
I have plugged in a new NEFF 13amp plug in hob to a single socket underneath. It keeps tripping when i use 2 or more rings. using 1 is fine. I worked out that its going to a B6 Legrand RCD. Do i just need to get a higher rated one like a B16? And is it a simple as turning off the ele at the board and popping the old one out?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No its not that simple. Try plugging it into another socket , that's not on that circuit.
P.s think you mean MCB not RCD

Do i just need to get a higher rated one like a B16?
NO!!

It is a 6amp because that is the maximum that the cable can carry. If you put in a 16amp MCB, the cable will overheat, melt, catch fire. You probably don't want that to happen?
The (6amp) circuit may have been installed to just provide a spark for a previous gas hob.

To do it properly, an electrician needs to install a new circuit of the correct rating, or plug the hob into another existing socket circuit.

You don't know that TTC, it could be wired in 2.5 so Rob needs to provide more info, like a photo of the wiring going to the socket.

Sponsored Links
It is a 6amp because that is the maximum that the cable can carry. If you put in a 16amp MCB, the cable will overheat, melt, catch fire.

Fairly improbable. Where would you get such a cable?

A 6A circuit in a kitchen might be intended for lighting and/or cooker hood.

But possible. My question is: why is a socket connected to a cable that is protected by a 6amp CPD?
Winston too often tells us of the dire consequences of plugging a vacuum cleaner into a socket on a lighting circuit in a loft, and this illustrates his issue.

We don't know the cable spec
We don't know the installation method
We don't know anything else

What we DO know, is that we don't advise an unskilled person to go changing an MCB for a higher-rated one. First there must be a proper consideration as to if it is the safe/compliant way to do it.

Tokyorob ,out of curiosity what else is connected to this circuit ,if anything ?

Hi All, thanks for the replies. It was previously used for the electric oven. in the words of Charlie Sheen ' it was there and i just stuck it in' .
I think the minute I heard fire, melt and overheat an electrician is needed. Im very handy at DIY but i stay clear of electricity. Working with the old man who assured me the sockets had been 'isolated' oops except that one, made sure of that.

IMG_7599.jpg IMG_7600.jpg

Its always hard to judge from a photo, but the round white wire going from the junction box tp the socket is not big enough.
6A is the max on that. Heavens alone knows what the other wiring is. I really suggest you get someone in to sort that out for you.

Rob, as TTC first stated, that circuit is not capable of handling the requirement of that hob - get an electrician in to rewire it.
Looks like 0.5mm 3 core flex to me, as TTC said - only suitable for an ignition/spark for a gas hob.

How that middle junction box that is behind the thick black incoming supply is accessed is beyond the skills of my screwdriver :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back