14V - 18V

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am purely a DIY enthusiast, however when i need a cordless drill i want it to work.
I need to do quite a bit of screwing over the next couple of weeks :oops:
so could also do with a spare battery - i honestly do not know weather i should buy a 14v or 18v cordless drill ?
could someone please explain to me in laymans terms the difference compared to value for money etc etc....

Sponsored Links
It's best to start by thinking what you're likely to want to use the tool for. For example, if you have a lot of large diameter holes to drill you need a machine with higher torque (which generally means a higher voltage). Check the specification.

The higher voltage drills will be heavier and bulkier; this makes them more tiring to use for extended periods, and more difficult to use in tight spaces.

If you want only to drive screws, consider getting a dedicated driver, or an impact driver.

With all due respect to Joe, 18v isn't 'the standard'. As in so many cases, it's horses for courses. I prefer to use 12v cordless tools because of the weight and convenience.

Sponsored Links
oh thats intresting, and what rating would you give them in terms of their use big-all?? :LOL:

Light to medium trade I'd guess. :LOL:

Go on buy a Makita :D or a Bosch Blue. :D

14.4v . . . Ideal and convienent for both DIY or trade. I personally like the makita and you can pick em up dirt cheap on Ebay :cool:

14.4v . . . Ideal and convienent for both DIY or trade. I personally like the makita and you can pick em up dirt cheap on Ebay :cool:
I agree with you there..and makita batteries last a lot longer then the equivalent batteries from other manufactures....mine are 5 year old and get used regularly and are still working as good as when I purchased them....I bet you cant say the same for dewalt ???

Oh I dont know. My Dewalts 18v batteries are still going strong and they get a good hammering :evil:
Its just that the dewalt is so damned heavy and after a while your arm just wants to drop off! :LOL:

Oh I dont know. My Dewalts 18v batteries are still going strong and they get a good hammering :evil:
Its just that the dewalt is so damned heavy and after a while your arm just wants to drop off! :LOL:
Maybe it was just the lads at work misusing them...but i haven't heard any of them complain over the Makitas.....I no where your coming from with 18v being heavy...I have a Makita MXT drill with a metal gearbox and I hate using it for repetitive jobs as my wrist end up aching

Also, depending what you are going to use it for, the Ryobi cordless is a very good value for money buy and not a bad bit of kit ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back