Power tool makes to avoid ?

i must agree with others even though i said dewalt,i shouldve been a bit more clearer :oops:

i think its mainly the dewalt cordless drills that everyone has been having problems with.
i have a dewalt nail gun and a biscuit jointer and they are superb.

shame the drills are ****e,BRING BACK ELU. :)

Sponsored Links
i ditched all my dewalt stuff as they couldnt hack it. Batteries died and the impact driver literally disintegrated. only dewaly i still have is my dw708 sliding compound saw, as noseall says a brute and does the job.

When i ditched dewalt i went to hitachi. Been using the cordless stuff for 2 1/2 years on a daily basis with the same batteries. I use it outside in all weathers and havent had a problem with any of it. really stands up to the work and conditions well. Only thing i dont rate is the cordless circular saw, but for internal work its probably ok.

i really think that people are unfair in criticising "ALL" dewalt tools
for the sake off a few problems with a few items!!

Maybe, maybe not...my own experience is of having six tools fail in some way inside 18 months, and two of those were warranty replacements for a combi drill and impact driver that had broken in well under a year (IE the replacements failed also). I also had one tool that wasn't working properly from new. Also, getting anything repaired/replaced under warranty was always about a 3-week nightmare with DeWalt trying to find every reason why it didn't qualify for the warranty. Based on this I will never ever go back.

My Bosch stuff on the other hand has been excellent. I have admittedly had one dealing with the warranty department when the chuck on my combi drill stopped gripping properly, but all it took to get it fixed was one phone call. FedEx turned up to the job I was working at, the day after the call was made, to collect the drill, and it was returned to me four days after collection with a report showing that not only had they replaced the chuck but they'd also given the drill a service while it was in. Can't fault that in any way at all.

Sponsored Links
It was under warranty, so I wasn't about to replace it myself, and I was too busy to take it to a service centre so I got them to fetch it. The point was more about good customer service than the specific job anyway

It was under warranty, so I wasn't about to replace it myself, and I was too busy to take it to a service centre myself.

I'd have asked them if they'd send the chuck out. They only take about a minute to change, and it's pretty hard to break them.

service and repair is of course important as part of the whole picture its just i like fairness when ever possible :D :D

some off you may be aware that i have the odd good word for ryobi :D ;)

now i like to be fair and informed and being a realist decided maybe my experiences wernt the norm
i started a thread about bad experiences with ryobi gear and got very little responce
there are only 3 things to conclude from that
A people are fully happy with ryobi and little or no things go wrong
B not many people have ryobi gear so cant comment or
C people cant be arssed as they aint botherd either way

so we can say appathy generaly rules 99% off the time
and only the vocal with an axe to grind [justifyably or not]will be noticed

My only ever dewalt warranty claim was when the trigger failed on my 18v nailer, i took it to my local tool shop which incidentally is a dewalt dealer :D , i never bought it from them originally and i'd lost the receipt anyway, they never even asked how old it was (2 years), they took my mobile number and said they'd ring me once it was done. Two hours later it was done, i picked it up the following day expecting a bill but they just said no bill sir, all done under warranty.

I used DeWalt cordless drills in a factory I worked at and they were superb - for all day, constant use. The factory had a cabinet full of various cordless drills, including Ryobi, Hitachi, Makita and Black and Decker. You had to take your pick, and the DeWalt ones were always the first to be taken, followed by the Makitas. Nobody really wanted the Ryobis and the others, but if you were late, you were stuck with them.

Based on this I bought a DeWalt 18v cordless for home use a few months ago when they were on offer at Screwfix. It has been fine, although I don't use it that much, certainly not as much as the ones at work.

There appears to be a belief that older DeWalt products were very reliable and robust, and that the newer ones are flimsy and cheap.

I bought a Ryobi (mains) sander from B&Q recently, from a clearout sale - and it was crap!

out off interest what sander was it!!!

i have a1/3sheet does a reasonable job
a 4" BELT does a great job

18v random orbit gives a mains a run for its money
18v detail sander does a good job

It's a 1/3 sheet sander, 180w, model ESS-1890c. It looks good and is well made, but just doesn't sand very well. I can do better by hand.

Unless I've been doing something wrong!

I have used makita cordless drills for nearly 2 years for drilling to screwing 4' screws and never been let down would say they are one off my best tool buys

My experience with milwaukee is disappointing. Not a bad drill but the batteries are pants

Totally agree would never touch milwaukee with a barge poll ever again.
Batterys are SX!t.

My experience with milwaukee is disappointing. Not a bad drill but the batteries are pants

I am using Milwaukee at the mo and am having no probs with the Lith-Ion batteries.

Am i to expect trouble... :?:

Hi noseall. I can only speak from my own experience, which was disappointing. I notice they've changed the design of the battery and drill now, so things have probably improved.
Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I shouldn't have bought it off ebay (usa).
Anyway good luck with yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back