DeWalt power tools and batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a DeWalt cordless drill that uses a 18V 1.3Ah battery. If I was to buy another DeWalt 'bare' unit that required a 18V battery would I be able to run it using the batteries I already have?

I would presume so as 18V is 18V so it would just give the same amount of power just for not as long as a 2.4/2.6Ah battery

Sponsored Links
Yeah, even if it says you shouldn't don't worry. They're made in the same place to be honest they just stick a different brand on it.

Yeah, even if it says you shouldn't don't worry. They're made in the same place to be honest they just stick a different brand on it.

The OP asked if he could use 18v batteries from his exisiting 18v dewalt tools in others if he bought naked, who mentioned different brands :?:

Incidentally, dewalt were or might still be the only manufacturer that has backward compatible batteries, so if you have the older Ni-Cad and the newer Li-ion tools the batts will work in both tools, that saves you ebaying older tools or batteries for newer, well done dewalt :D

Sponsored Links
I've also found that dewalt batteries will also fit into the voltage above them, or in other words a 12volt battery will fit into a 14.4 volt drill and so on but of course they won't fit the other way and the tool isn't as powerful.

yep dewalt ryobi and aeg[from tti stable] all take old and new tools an batteries
and yes both bosch and dewaly lower powered batteries will work larger voltage tools as you say at lower power lol

did you also know that some drills will double up on internals as in 10.8 and 12v may have the same internals as will 114.4 and 18v
sometimes its 12 and 14.4 and 18 and 24 all depends on spec

Christmas has just seen me get my first 2 10.8v tools, everything else is dewalt 18v with a mixture of ni-cad and li-ion.

The Mrs has bought me a DCT410S1 inspection camera including an extension camera with the 9mm head and also a DCF610S2 screwdriver :D :D :D :D :D :D

Roll on sunday, i can see screws being screwed and inspections going on all day ;)

Incidentally, dewalt were or might still be the only manufacturer that has backward compatible batteries, so if you have the older Ni-Cad and the newer Li-ion tools the batts will work in both tools, that saves you ebaying older tools or batteries for newer, well done dewalt :D
Actually, no. deWalt did bring out a range of backwards compatible batteries, BUT (and it's a big but), their backward compatible Li-Ion batteries were limited to 2.4Ah (initially 2.0Ah) rather than the 3.0Ah that other manufacturers went for and their charging cycles was very slow - a limitation of being unable to design a battery with the extra terminals required for "intelligent" chargers or the forced ventilation holes adopted by every other manufacturer (which allowed faster charging and reasonable charge times for 3.0Ah batteries). At best this was a stopgap. The fact that DW are now busily pushing a NEW Li-Ion range (the XR) which uses a similar battery pack design to Makita, Bosch, et al shows this up for what it was. Maketing hype

and yes both bosch and dewaly lower powered batteries will work larger voltage tools as you say at lower power
So do the older Makita NiCd/NIMH tools, BA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back